• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

My New Steady Rest

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Thanks Mark; that makes perfect sense. I missed the LEFT HANDED threads. Looks like a great design.
That's a shame about welding but I assume you have someone close by who can do TIG for you. I'm sure they are more than willing to help after they see your awesome projects. If I lived closer my machine would be at your disposal. Although it would be a little scary welding something that you had machined to perfection!
R

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Mark; that makes perfect sense. I missed the LEFT HANDED threads. Looks like a great design.
That's a shame about welding but I assume you have someone close by who can do TIG for you. I'm sure they are more than willing to help after they see your awesome projects. If I lived closer my machine would be at your disposal. Although it would be a little scary welding something that you had machined to perfection!
R
I have a guy that does welding reasonable. He did all the TIG welding on this steady rest and I spent a total of $45. Yea , it would be cheaper to do myself but that can't happen.

Randall Marx

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I'll be needing to do something similar for my Atlas/Craftsman 12-inch sometime fairly soon, if I can figure out how to do it without a mill. I would appreciate very much if you could include me in your list of prints recipients. Thank you again for including us on this and your other journeys!

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'll be needing to do something similar for my Atlas/Craftsman 12-inch sometime fairly soon, if I can figure out how to do it without a mill. I would appreciate very much if you could include me in your list of prints recipients. Thank you again for including us on this and your other journeys!
You can make it without a mill. I made a small milling table to replace my compound as my mill is not big enough to do it.

FOMOGO

Active User
That came out really nice Mark. If you had to buy all the equipment to do TIG, your probably way ahead of the game having it done, and would be for quite some time. Cheers, Mike

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
R
PM me here and I'll send you the prints.

rwm

Active User
Outstanding. It's a crime that anyone would charge you for welding that piece of art!
I have recently taken to sandblasting and then painting my steel with clear lacquer. It's a very nice finish with a natural look.
R

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
I missed this thread. Very nice Mark, much beefier than mine.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
Thank you Mark. Mine will handle 4 5/8 inch. The good news is that it did the job that I built it for. :)

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Mark. Mine will handle 4 5/8 inch. The good news is that it did the job that I built it for. :)
Mine is 3" capacity. Actually, I took some design inspiration for upgrading my steady rest from your build.

Silverbullet

Nice job Mark, I need to make one for my logan 11". Sign me up for prints. Got to love this site.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Nice job Mark, I need to make one for my logan 11". Sign me up for prints. Got to love this site.
I will send you the prints and photos. If you decide to make one feel free to talk to me. I can give you a lot of tips to make it easier.

Silverbullet

I will send you the prints and photos. If you decide to make one feel free to talk to me. I can give you a lot of tips to make it easier.
Thanks ALOT , I'm still busy moving and sorting and cleaning the shop. The past week I've really made some head way I'm about half way done . Plus I just got a Landis 1 1/2 grinder, she's old and dirty but beautiful to me. In great shape for ww2 vintage, still in use last week. The shops closing and selling off extras. I think it was Arrow Tool & Die in Philly. The man delivered her with some extra wheels free . I sprayed her down and wrapped her in a tarp till I can get her inside the grime should come off easy in a few days. So now my shops almost complete , a vertical bandsaw and tig WELDER would give my shop everything I could ever need. My one real wish would be a monarch lathe in a 14 to 16" swing the Ck model but that's just my dream machine. Ww2 vintage too. Thanks for the prints , pictures are bonuses. Had to make lots of items from prints alone in years past .

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
PM me your email address. I will send the prints to you. Thanks to medical technology, I can get out of my chair some now. I can get around the house ( still fall once in a while)but don't go out with out my chair or at least crutches. I can't even get my wheel chair in the shop anymore , it is so crowded. I have stools I sit on now. It is easier than working from the wheel chair.
I know what you mean. Social security don't go far. If we that close, we should get together sometime.
Thanks Mark, A great build, I might steal a couple of your ideas, I have to make a steady for LD1216, as the one that came with it isn't big enough, only goes up to 75mm 3", and i need about 12o mm, 4 3/4 ". I figure I may a swell make for 6". I might have to fabricate it like Savarin, as I cant find any heavy tube or plate at the right price.

[6]
[5] [7]