My New Steady Rest

any chance of an exploded view of the fingers Mark?
Steady rest guides comleted.jpg These are the finger assemblies I made. There are 4 pieces to each one. Because South Bend used a bastard thread that would be difficult or maybe impossible to duplicate, I had to change the threads and lengths of parts to configure to get the correct travel rates of the finger and knob that would work.

steady rest assembly.jpg This is the SB drawing with changes to show what I built.

I found I did not make drawings as I worked from the South Bend blue prints making changes as I went. I will be making a set of prints for my entire new version steady rest, soon. Once they are done, I will send them to anyone that asks for them.

thanks or just unscrew one and take a pic
They don't just unscrew and come apart. They are strange to assemble. You put the finger in the sleeve with the screw screwed into the finger, then start the knob on the sleeve threads and once everything is started and aligned you insert the pin in the top of the knob that locks the screw to the knob.

Im confused about threading both the finger and the sleeve. I assume they are different thread pitches? Is there an advantage to this type of "compound" thread? Why not just thread one or the other?
R

Im confused about threading both the finger and the sleeve. I assume they are different thread pitches? Is there an advantage to this type of "compound" thread? Why not just thread one or the other?
R
I'm not sure I understand your question. The finger is left hand thread and the knob is right hand thread. when the knob is screwed inward the left hand thread in the finger extends it. This gives a rapid travel and a longer available distance of travel. The knob is 14 TPI. This gives a total travel of 1 1/4 "in 17 turns over the length of the sleeve. The finger is 16 TPI and gives the finger .900"of travel in the number of turns the knob is turned. This gives a total finger travel of 2 1/8" roughly. Clear as mud.... right?

If you mean, why not the same thread, it is because these pitches work out to give the required travel and are the closeest to one another for the diameters meaning 7/8" and 3/8".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have prints for anyone who would like them. PM me here for them. The prints are for the fingers only. They can be used for any size steady rest up to a 4" bore. Just make a body 1 1/2" thick and 1 1/2" wall thickness.

I have prints for anyone who would like them. PM me here for them. The prints are for the fingers only. They can be used for any size steady rest up to a 4" bore. Just make a body 1 1/2" thick and 1 1/2" wall thickness.
I need to make one for my logan 11" . All these projects how do you do it , I'm in a wheelchair and can usually out work most of the guys who work next door to me . But I don't think I can keep up to you my friend. You must have been a great asset to whoever you worked for.
We're pretty close I think less then a hundred miles apart. Thanks for this build I can't justify $300.00 for a steady rest. But I may be able to pick up the materials for this a little at a time. Money's never enough when all you've ever lived on is SS disability. YUPP over thirty years now close to FORTY. Man time sure flies faster then a speeding bullet. Thanks Mark

Hey Mark I was just thinking ask your doctor if you were to wear a layer of lead over the pace maker . You may be able to do your welding . I've got a stimulater in my back for a problem I have but it hasn't worked in 15 years now. Tried to get him to take it out in 09 but because of the pulmonary embolism he didn't. But I mig and stick weld all the time , I'd love a tig but way more then I can afford now. in a few years maybe. Oh well ask him couldn't hurt .

Hey Mark I was just thinking ask your doctor if you were to wear a layer of lead over the pace maker . You may be able to do your welding . I've got a stimulater in my back for a problem I have but it hasn't worked in 15 years now. Tried to get him to take it out in 09 but because of the pulmonary embolism he didn't. But I mig and stick weld all the time , I'd love a tig but way more then I can afford now. in a few years maybe. Oh well ask him couldn't hurt .
That won't work unless maybe you were "encapsulated" in lead because it is the magnetic fiel that is all around that is the problem. I cam mig weld a little if I stretch the leads out and get as far from the transformer as possible but I can't be in the same building as the TIG welder unless I'm a good ways away. The high frequency field will fry the pace maker. I have a pace maker right now and am also getting a spinal stimulator put in soon . The stimulator can be turned off and I don't believe a welder will bother it anyway...... But it was a good idea about the lead.

I need to make one for my logan 11" . All these projects how do you do it , I'm in a wheelchair and can usually out work most of the guys who work next door to me . But I don't think I can keep up to you my friend. You must have been a great asset to whoever you worked for.
We're pretty close I think less then a hundred miles apart. Thanks for this build I can't justify $300.00 for a steady rest. But I may be able to pick up the materials for this a little at a time. Money's never enough when all you've ever lived on is SS disability. YUPP over thirty years now close to FORTY. Man time sure flies faster then a speeding bullet. Thanks Mark
PM me your email address. I will send the prints to you. Thanks to medical technology, I can get out of my chair some now. I can get around the house ( still fall once in a while)but don't go out with out my chair or at least crutches. I can't even get my wheel chair in the shop anymore , it is so crowded. I have stools I sit on now. It is easier than working from the wheel chair.
I know what you mean. Social security don't go far. If we that close, we should get together sometime.

Back