MY NEW (TO ME) MYSTERY LATHE

petcnc

Active User
Registered
I was looking for long time for a bigger lathe to handle larger parts that my 7X12 lathe cannot handle.
I have turned down a few candidates for several reasons: either too small, too big, too expensive or I was too late to decide on buying.
Checking sites and WebPages almost daily for a year I made so many calls and rejected so many machines that I was convinced that a lathe at the right size, condition and price does not exist! Eventually I was so frustrated that I started looking for a new one but, for the size I wanted (12X36), the price was too high ($5000) for a machine that will be used just for hobby.

gh1230-gear-head-lathe.jpg

So the whole idea remained a wishful dream that was not meant to be true.
Until, one day checking at Facebook’s Market Place I spotted this for $1500.

SLOTTA.jpg

When, through a message (there was no phone on the ad) I asked the guy for the size of the machine, it took him two days to send me this.

SLOTTA1.jpg

Knowing that each one of the parts of the meter he used is 20 cm I estimated the size between centers to be some 90 cm (36”) Perfect!!
The guy I was talking to was advertising the lathe for his uncle that was too old to do it for himself. The lathe was a few miles away from me so I arranged a visit to see it and test it.
The lathe was in good working order, as the old man using it was a hobbyist himself. He told me that he had the lathe some 20 years and he had bought it from a school in an island between Greece and Italy (Corfu). I gave him a deposit and arranged to go in the weekend to dismantle and carry the lathe home.
A few hours later, in the next Saturday, the lathe (together with some tooling) followed me home.

IMG_20200705_174620390.jpg

TOOLING THAT CAME WITH THE LATHE

The old guy also gave me all the tools he had that related to the lathe:

P7262636.JPG

1. Some measurement tools

P7262657.JPG

2. Some files and levers also

P7262638.JPG

3. Some more files

P7262637.JPG

4. The lathe had the following gears 20, 45, 55, 60, 75, 80, 91, 95, 127
Missing gears (according the lathe table) are: 25, 30, 35, 40, 50, 65, 70 (I must make them)

P1012584.JPG

5. Lathe came together with steady and follower rest

P7262661.JPG

On the lathe was a 6” 3jaw chuck in good condition

P1012585.JPG

6. An 8” 3jaw chuck that was pretty neglected came with the lathe

P1012573.JPG

7. Also I was given a poorly maintained 5” 4jaw auto centering chuck

P1012559.JPG

8. Several bits & pieces also came with the lathe (drills, wrenches, metric and imperial taps an extra flat belt, many tool inserts etc.)

IMG_20200705_174723082.jpg

The only info I have for the lathe comes from the head plinth cover that says SLOTTA

Sign.jpg

As there was no user manual whatsoever with the lathe, my first concern was to find a manual or at least any info for the lathe.
That proved fruitless as the only SLOTTA I could find was the German makers DOLZE & SLOTTA (lathes.co.uk) but none of the lathes there was even similar to mine as mine is Italian. I came to that conclusion as next to oiling points it has scribed “OLIO” (the Italian word for oil) and the bearings I have changed in the underdrive cone pulley were “made in Italy”. My search using Italian words for “old SLOTTA lathe” (vecchio tornio SLOTTA) gave no results either!!!!

DO I OWN A UNIQUE LATHE? (I don’t think so)

If anyone knows anything or has any suggestions I would be happy to hear.

Thanks for reading
Petros

Last edited:
I’m betting that what you have is a South Bend clone. Maybe a Norwegian or Scandinavian copy. Or maybe even Greek. It looks like a great lathe and both capable and nicely tooled. I’d call that a good score.

Found it. You were right ... German Made. Dolze & Slotta

you beat me to it projectnut.

Looks like Slotta made some really nice lathes. And you scored both a center rest and follower rest plus a hell of a lot tooling. You really made a super nice score in my opinion.
Germans over engineer everything. Just working on an old Mercedes made me fall in love with those old Benzes.
I’d surely fall in love with your Slotta once I figured out its idiosyncrasies. It looks like a stout lathe.

I’m betting that what you have is a South Bend clone. Maybe a Norwegian or Scandinavian copy. Or maybe even Greek. It looks like a great lathe and both capable and nicely tooled. I’d call that a good score.

Tim it looks loke SB for sure! All info I can get on how to take apart the lower cone pulley for example, is very similar with SB older lathes.
What amazes me is that there is not one mention for another copy of this brand! It is just SLOTTA made in italy (?) not DOLZE & SLOTTA made in Germany!

Apron, gearbox and coolant reservoir/pedestal are the same.

View attachment 337195

It could be an older version perhaps? It definately is made in Italy! I would never think that germans would emboss on the oiling points the italian word "OLIO" nor they would put in it bearings "made in Italy", not at that time!
Today if you look under the hood of a Mercedes most of the parts are made outside Germany! But at the time the particular lathe was made (circa 1960) It would clearly say "Made in West Germany" ha ha ha

Last edited:
Looks like a great machine. Much nicer than any import you could buy today for 4-5 times the money, and the big plus is, if it ever gets a flat tire you have the tools to fix it. :) Cheers, Mike

Looks like a great machine. Much nicer than any import you could buy today for 4-5 times the money, and the big plus is, if it ever gets a flat tire you have the tools to fix it. :) Cheers, Mike

I have already started fixing small details Mike!
Stay tuned I will post a new issue on cleaning, setting up and fine tuning the beast!

pet CNC, in one of the photos I spotted an old BMW motorbike, probably a 250, as I see no cylinder sticking out the side.
This old gentleman was a true believer in excellent old iron.

Back