MY NEW (TO ME) MYSTERY LATHE

pet CNC, in one of the photos I spotted an old BMW motorbike, probably a 250, as I see no cylinder sticking out the side.
This old gentleman was a true believer in excellent old iron.
His hobby is (was) to restore old motorcycles. Next to the lathe he had a two dozen collection
The guy that advertised the lathe I bought now advertises the motorcycles.
Old iron.jpg
old iron 2.jpg

Did you get the change gears for metric threads?

Did you get the change gears for metric threads?

Together with the lathe came the following gears: 20, 45, 55, 60, 75, 80, 91, 95 and 127 teeth.

I must make also the following gears: 25, 30, 35, 40, 50, 65 and 70 teeth to complete the range according to the the lathe gear table.

P1012584.JPG

Check eBay for sellers. I needed a 40 tooth and a 127 tooth for my Nardini. I found many sources from Asia. my 127 came from Netherlands. Prices were decent. All the sources I found were for 20* PA only.

Check eBay for sellers. I needed a 40 tooth and a 127 tooth for my Nardini. I found many sources from Asia. my 127 came from Netherlands. Prices were decent. All the sources I found were for 20* PA only.

I know that I can buy the gears but...
If i do that I miss all the joy in making them!!!
So I have already ordered the cutters and if you add on top of that the material cost and the hours I will spent, the amount paid will be 2-3 times the amount for the ready made gears.
But I justify the extra cost for the joy of making it.
The same way I justify the cost of the lathe(s) I have bought.
It must be some sort of infection this. Isnt it?

Petros

Apron, gearbox and coolant reservoir/pedestal are the same.

View attachment 337195

Seeking info for the lathe, I found a guy that had a SLOTTA AUTOMATIC like the one in the above photo, in the past and he had plenty of photos. Browsing the photos the following one caught my eye.

Kostantinou_Slotta.jpg

In the black label a company is mentioned as "C. C. Wakefield and Company Limited London"
so I looked for info on how this company is related to the lathe.
The British Science museum eligtened me:

C. C. Wakefield and Company Limited 1899
NATIONALITY: British
BASED: London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom

Charles Cheers Wakefield started his own firm, C.C.Wakefield & Co., in 1899. The company dealt in lubricating oils and appliances and also published the Achievements yearbook. Wakefield opened a head office in Cannon Street in the City of London . On the 2nd August, 1960, the name of the company was changed to Castrol Ltd. In 2008, Castrol continue to manufacture lubricating products and is currently a part of the BP Group.

The only thing I can say for sure is that this lathe was made before 2nd August 1960 as if it was a later machine instead of CC WAKEFIELD &CO the name would have been CASTROL.

So Iam still in the dark if this lathe (and my lathe) was manufactured in Italy or in Germany!

In the Bronze label the importers are mentioned but they must have gone long time ago.
I could not find any trace of their company.
A funny thing is that around 1960 Athens phone system had only 5 digits!!! that means less than 100,000 people had phones!!!!

Last edited:
Back