My "new to me" vertical machining center

lovely! That'll fit in your new AC'd/ heated shop just fine :)

As for products, I think that as you go through your Chevy anything that you need to make because you can't find a replacement or the original sucked would be a great candidate for making more of. If you have to make the program and test the fit for one, you already have all the work done to make 100.

If you set up an anodising or plating line, you can also add "bling" or original chrome finishes which the car crowd seem to go nuts over. figure out how to set up a simple website, see if you can get in any Chevy 55 newsletters and I think you'll get quite a following within a couple of years.

If you get an itch after that, find another popular older car, get a beater and restore that. A new project and a new line - 2 for the price of one!

From what I can see all the programmers are in Seattle, nothing local.

I know how to run the mill very well. I had 4020 for 10 years, and have run 6 Fadals now for 8 years. We are down to 3 of them now with the new Brother machines.

If I had to chose the Brothers or the Fadals I'd take the Fadals anytime.

I'm trying to find parts that I can make and market and undercut the competition. Some of the prices are unbelievable. I have a website for my transmission mods, it would be easy to add additional products there.

Pic of my work "office"

20181120_082328.jpg

Very nice score, and the price was unbelievable.

The company tried to sell all 3 fadals to a dealer. He offered $9k for all of them. I offered $2k for the small one and after negotiating with the dealer he gave them $14.5k for the 4020 and 3016. To him the vmc15 had no value. I see them locally now and then for up to $10k and in much worse shape. I know this machine very well. I had no reservations buying it.

Alloy, is it your guys that have the other two Fadals and the Haas VMC up for sale on CL here in WA this month? There was a VMC15 and I think a 4020 going for under $5k. Sure got my gears turning, but my new home shop won't be completed until summer. Maybe next year I could get it past the committee. Anyway, awesome score and thanks for the post.

No not us. They were never on CL, just listed with a machine tool dealer. We only had fadals.

There is a stunning 5020 for sale in Bend for $14.5k. Looks super clean.

https://bend.craigslist.org/tls/d/fadal-50-20a-88hs-control/6731387815.html

I know how it is to want a shop. I worked years to be able too buy a place with a shop. My commute sucks, 54 miles one way. But I walk into my house instead of a rental and go out to my shop and it's worth it. I wished I could have done it sooner.

It's nice to be able to do what I want with my place. I did a 400 amp power upgrade and put a heat pump in my shop. Didn't have to even get committee approval :grin:

Last edited:
Just made my first chips with the mill. Had to move it into position and level it this morning. Took forever to level it but I got it very close to perfect.

The part I made is very simple. I programmed it mastercam. I'm still working on learning the software.

It took 2:41 to run the part, and manually it took well over 20 minutes. Not too exciting yet, but it's up and running :grin:

And the picture of said part is on which ESP channel?:ghost:

Back