My new VFD

martik777

Active User
Registered
Got this a couple months ago. It's been bulletproof, easy to program. I wired it to my drum switch and control speed with a 20k pot.

Fan is fairly quiet but doesn't turn on until the lathe starts so you can't hear it. Doesn't heat up at all.

I got the 2HP model to power a 1/2HP motor. The soft start is so much safer when I forget to disengage the back gears :)

Only $56 - shipped in under a week.

Attachments

• vfd.jpg
    vfd.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 66
I think you are taking a risk with the VFD. It is considered correct to have no switches between the power side output connections of the VFD and the motor. Use the VFD to control the spindle directly.

Edit: You CAN use the drum switch on your lathe to control the low voltage side of the VFD, so you end up using the same control to send run commands to the lathe. The drum switch will need to be rewired to the VFD to do that.

Last edited:
Edit: You CAN use the drum switch on your lathe to control the low voltage side of the VFD, so you end up using the same control to sent run commands to the lathe. The drum switch will need to be rewired to do that.

That's what I did, the 240V side is wired directly to the motor, the drum switch is on the 5V panel.

Thanks for the warning though.

Wow they keep getting cheaper all the time, should last a while too with the extra overhead

Does a vfd and a 3 phase motor vibrate?
Assuming it is correctly balanced and the bearings are good.
Every 1 phase I have all have a high frequency vibration, even the brand new ones.
Every thing on the drill press table vibrates off, the lathe has that vibration as well and I would like to get rid of it, (the vibration not the lathe :p)
I'm convinced it influences the finish.

Wow they keep getting cheaper all the time, should last a while too with the extra overhead
Yes, several years ago I paid just under $100, delivered, for a Chinese 2 hp VFD on eBay, best price I could find anywhere at the time. That is down to nearly half of what I paid then. Or maybe the Canucks have been able to get better trade agreements than we have...

Not so. Just checked. They are selling 2 hp (1.5kW) single phase to 3 phase generic VFDs for $44 delivered on eBay right now:

At that price, there is not much reason beyond the necessary wiring upgrade to not go with a VFD with a higher output rating, even for smaller loads. It would certainly be my choice, though I would need to check out the included control parameters and some other details, which are not shown at all in the ad...

Edit: Models visually like the one I have (Askpower A131) with plenty of known-to-have parameters to play with, are now going for $56.50 delivered on eBay. That is a major lowering of price.

Last edited:
Only $56 - shipped in under a week.

If you don't mind, where did you order it from?

What?
I recently got my first VFD; a 220V, 1.5kW, I went with an ebay source recommended by a friend.
It was CAD $174 with another $85 shipping!

Please share your source!!!!!

-brino

Just checked the price on a 10hp VFD (e-bay), and they are under $200 now. Had been collecting parts for a 25hp RPC, but may go the inverter route now. Would save a lot of space, and cut down on complexity, and noise. Mike

Last edited:
The $44 one is sold out, I'll watch for it to restock and get another, fierce competition on these!

Here's the one I got: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/173643791033?ul_noapp=true
It shipped from Canada so I guess they have a warehouse here, shipping would have been 15-20 so he's not making much.

Savarin: There is no vibration or high frequency whine.

Youtube link for wiring:
There are others, search "vfd xsy-at1"

I changed the default max HZ from 65 to 75. My motor has useful torque down to the 20's

I can upload the manual if anyone wants

Some reviews on Banggood: https://www.banggood.com/AC-220V-0_...-p-1256012.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Last edited:
Back