My Newest addition - Logan 200

notqwik

Active User
Registered
Just got it off the truck and on a cart ..... guy was asking $325 off of CL ..... I gave him $350 because I felt bad!

Lot of tooling, spare gears and original parts list! Looks to be a 1942 model.

photo_zps2be0d42e.jpg

Well that was generous of you. Nice looking lathe, your gonna enjoy getting it up and running.

Well that was generous of you. Nice looking lathe, your gonna enjoy getting it up and running.

After looking at what you have done with yours ..... I'm thinking of sending this on to Casa Grande for some sprucing up .....:))

Just got it off the truck and on a cart ..... guy was asking $325 off of CL ..... I gave him $350 because I felt bad!

Lot of tooling, spare gears and original parts list! Looks to be a 1942 model.

Is the tapper complete ??? if you only have the tail slot I would be willing to trade you a standard ceoss slide plus $50.00 cash.
Joebiplane
joe@oldetimemachines.com

After looking at what you have done with yours ..... I'm thinking of sending this on to Casa Grande for some sprucing up .....:))

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure how far you are going with your new addition, but if you need to strip paint, use aircraft stripper. It is in a blue can and you can get it at O'reilly's. It works in minutes and is cleaned up with water. It works amazingly well. If you need to de-rust anything, use Evaporust. It is 19.99 a gallon at Oreilly's and it also works amazingly well. If you were closer I would gladly give you a hand, but you will get a great deal of pleasure doing it yourself.

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure how far you are going with your new addition, but if you need to strip paint, use aircraft stripper. It is in a blue can and you can get it at O'reilly's. It works in minutes and is cleaned up with water. It works amazingly well. If you need to de-rust anything, use Evaporust. It is 19.99 a gallon at Oreilly's and it also works amazingly well. If you were closer I would gladly give you a hand, but you will get a great deal of pleasure doing it yourself.

Thanks for the tips, maybe when it warms up I will start restoring/cleaning it up. I really bought it to make a couple of parts for a custom wood bed I'm making for my daughter. Had I found this website sooner, I would have had somebody here make them for me!!

I really wanted one that had legs and a tray, but the price was right on this one so here it is. Looks like you can find legs and a motor support post on e-bay, but then from what I've seen you will need a different motor bracket also?? I may just learn to love this one the way it is and not worry about a stand.

I do have a question about this one and please excuse my ignorance. What is the pull out pin (next to the forward/reverse lever) in the head stock for? I can see it engages two lower gears but I'm unsure of their purpose.

Thanks!

Oops, looking in the wrong area of the lathe. Most be getting past bedtime.

Last edited:
What is the pull out pin (next to the forward/reverse lever) in the head stock for? I can see it engages two lower gears but I'm unsure of their purpose.

I am pretty sure its like mine and it engages the back gears which slows the lathe RPMs down for slower cuts. It should have a pin that when pulled out locks the lever against the head stock so it won't go back in. To disengage you push the pin in before pushing the lever back in. It is on the under side of the lever so feel for it. Also there is probably a pin in the bull gear that has to be pulled out to disengage the bull gear from the pulleys. The bull gear is the big gear on the front of the spindle shaft.

I am pretty sure its like mine and it engages the back gears which slows the lathe RPMs down for slower cuts. It should have a pin that when pulled out locks the lever against the head stock so it won't go back in. To disengage you push the pin in before pushing the lever back in. It is on the under side of the lever so feel for it. Also there is probably a pin in the bull gear that has to be pulled out to disengage the bull gear from the pulleys. The bull gear is the big gear on the front of the spindle shaft.

Thanks! I think it is like yours, I found the pin in the bull gear also. I noticed there are a couple missing teeth in the bull gear, not sure how big of a deal that is? Just two and right next to each other.

I do have a question about this one and please excuse my ignorance. What is the pull out pin (next to the forward/reverse lever) in the head stock for? I can see it engages two lower gears but I'm unsure of their purpose.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

That " Pin" engages the back gearing gears.. it is only used after you have disengaged the Bull gear. DON"T run it until you have seen the corect procedure for using back gears It belongs in the " extended out " position for normal ( direct drive ) running. you should NOT be able to push it in until you press the ' spring loaded keeper on the ottom of the knob shaft itself.
joe

Back