My next CNC project - a CNC router

I’m liable to muck up the electronics on this one as it’s seriously complicated for my knowledge level.
The build I think will be relatively easy.

My electronics knowledge is infinitesimal, so your signature slogan applies.

What is so attractive (to me) about your plasma cutter and router projects is they are of a scale that I might try someday.
The electronics/software/integration would be the greatest challenge for me also.

From earlier replies, I'm confident there are other members able and ready to help, if needed.

Last edited:
There’s also a well documented wiki and an immense amount of knowledge available from the folks on the discord channel.

Another big step today.
Picked up the 2"x3"x.125 wall tubing and a roll of PETG 1.75mm filament for the 3D printed motor mounts.
Next step is to modify the parameters in the Fusion 360 file so that the radius of the 3D printed parts will match the steel.

Edit: modified the parameters, downloaded all the stls and have started printing the assembly tools :)

Last edited:
Deburred and painted the steel today.
ae3527278926df839505ed67b6710a6a.jpg

I have a 5' x 8' CNC router, Tree J425 CNC knee mill and a Hardinge Accuslide CNC lathe all with Centroid Acorn control. I have been through the nightmare that is Mach 3/4. I can't recommend Centroid Acorn highly enough. It is an order of magnitude better than anything else in the price range. I'm happy to help if you need it.

I have a 5' x 8' CNC router, Tree J425 CNC knee mill and a Hardinge Accuslide CNC lathe all with Centroid Acorn control. I have been through the nightmare that is Mach 3/4. I can't recommend Centroid Acorn highly enough. It is an order of magnitude better than anything else in the price range. I'm happy to help if you need it.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
I’m going to use LinuxCNC as a start and see if I can figure it out.
I’ll fall back CNCjs as a second choice though that requires a different control board.

I've been jonesing for a CNC router for a while now.
Two main criteria
1) it had to fit on a 2' x3' table...my welding table. snip>

It seems that the criteria have evolved. Yes?

Or, is the wooden table intended for the construction phase only?

It seems that the criteria have evolved. Yes?

Or, is the wooden table intended for the construction phase only?
Yes, an evolution based on reality.
My original plan was to have it on my welding table. But after buying the steel I realized there was no way I could easily move it from the table so I am re-jigging things a bit in the shop. Moving my surface grinder over six inches and moving my drill press slightly will give me space to put the router table when not in use.

Last edited:
Drilled and tapped the holes for the X and Y beams today.
Three X beams = 48 holes not tapped.
Two Y beams = 24 holes tapped for M6.
The grey things are 3D printed patterns for marking hole placement.
1622419006521.png

Last edited:
Back