My next CNC project - a CNC router

Looking good. Do you do anything to maintain the rail’s z-straightness, or just bolt it to the steel member? Seems like that interface would be an opportunity for distortion.

A couple of people used epoxy to level the surface. I checked my steel for flatness along the Y axis length and it was very good, a .001 feeler gauge just slipped under the midpoint of the rail.

Last edited:
@DavidR8 If you need any help with soldering/assembly of electronic stuff associated with the Teensy, let me know. Have what's needed for that sort of thing, including stereo microscope. Can do (non-BGA) SMD devices and have a hot air gun for soldering along with an old school iron for leaded devices. It definitely looks like you have the mechanical parts and assembly under control! You are doing a great job.

@DavidR8 If you need any help with soldering/assembly of electronic stuff associated with the Teensy, let me know. Have what's needed for that sort of thing, including stereo microscope. Can do (non-BGA) SMD devices and have a hot air gun for soldering along with an old school iron for leaded devices. It definitely looks like you have the mechanical parts and assembly under control! You are doing a great job.
Thank you sir! I appreciate the vote of confidence.
I think I'll be okay on the Teensy. The board designer is going to assemble 10 of the boards for the beta testers. So not only do I get the benefit of a custom designed board with all of the bells and whistles like spindle on/off and speed control, enclosure door alarm, probe input and relays for flood and/or mist coolant, it will be completely assembled and tested prior to shipping.

Fantastic progress David !!!

Thanks Doc!
It’s definitely coming together. I should have the Y-axis ball screws in and maybe the gantry on tomorrow.

So back at the beginning of the thread I said I was going to use LinuxCNC to run this machine.
I’ve been watching and reading discussions where folks really struggle with configuration and setup.
I’d been leaning toward using grbl or grblHAL because of its simplicity and active development.

Yesterday a member of the PrintNC Discord group who is an electronics engineer announced that he had designed a new breakout board that uses a Teensy 4.1 controller board. And that he was going to have 10 boards made for beta testing.
I get board #2!
View attachment 368653
Read the file you attached, and it looks really interesting. Is PrintNC a private group? Doesn't seem to show up on a standard Discord search. Or do I have to somehow tell discord to check all countries? Sorry for the old school questions, haven't used Discord before.

Read the file you attached, and it looks really interesting. Is PrintNC a private group? Doesn't seem to show up on a standard Discord search. Or do I have to somehow tell discord to check all countries? Sorry for the old school questions, haven't used Discord before.

I couldn’t figure out how to link to the Discord group but if you go here there should be a pop up on the home page.

I couldn’t figure out how to link to the Discord group but if you go here there should be a pop up on the home page.

Thanks! Tried PrintNC, Print NC, upper and lower case and CNC. I'm sure it was under cnc, but didn't recognize it! Actually nothing under cnc. Will try the home page.

I’m there under the same handle as here, DavidR8

I’m there under the same handle as here, DavidR8
Wow, not your handle, but the running stream of consciousness on there... Somehow, I'll navigate it. Quite the different character there.

Back