My Next Project - A Metal Brake

Mark, I may have missed it. Do you have a projection for capacity on this brake?

Mark, I may have missed it. Do you have a projection for capacity on this brake?
I am hoping it will handle 16 gage steel ( .062" thick). I plan on testing it to see where its limits are before any flexing occurs. I have beefed up a few areas to try to eliminate the need for the truss assembly and increase the capacity.

Hi Mark,

Looks fantastic! Just curious, are your fingers going to be hardened? You may have mentioned it in a previous post and I just missed it. The fingers on my DiAcro are hardened. Mine has a 16 gauge capacity over 2'. I've bent 1/8" thick strap steel 2" wide without a problem.

Bruce

That is not CAD. I ain't smart enough to use that CAD thingy :grin:. I do my drawings with Microsoft paint. But , anyway you are correct. I will have 23 holes instead of 22 like the original design. This is why my ........uhh.....revision :grin:....... requires the two 1 1/2 " fingers on the ends. But after thinking it over, my mistake :rolleyes: I mean revision, is actually as good or better than the original design. The original had to leave the bolt out of the outside end of the fingers on the ends. It was reported there was some flexing in the 1 1/2" X 5/8" finger bar. I believe that is why the truss was added. I am hoping my changes correct this problem without the use of the truss. Clear as mud..... Right?
No problem, I just read from your yesterday post that you “drilled and tapped 21 holes”. And then I noticed 23 holes in the drawing. That is why I asked. You’re doing outstanding. I need to go out and buy more popcorn!...Dave.

Hi Mark,

Looks fantastic! Just curious, are your fingers going to be hardened? You may have mentioned it in a previous post and I just missed it. The fingers on my DiAcro are hardened. Mine has a 16 gauge capacity over 2'. I've bent 1/8" thick strap steel 2" wide without a problem.

Bruce
No.....:(...... I don't have the means to do that. I am making them from cold roll steel. I will be putting a .063" vertical flat on the edge to help the edge hold up better. This was recommended by someone and seemed like a good idea. I thought it might pose a problem making a bend more than 90 degrees, but I'm not sure how often I'll make bends over 90 deg. If I have a cutter , I considered a .062" radius on the tip of the fingers

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, I just read from your yesterday post that you “drilled and tapped 21 holes”. And then I noticed 23 holes in the drawing. That is why I asked. You’re doing outstanding. I need to go out and buy more popcorn!...Dave.
Yea it is all good ....... The drawing is my fix to the problem. I was hoping to have room for the extra holes and just barely made it.

Mark, that is about the capacity I think I would want. I may sometime this summer built myself on. In this area, I never see any good sheet metal equipment up for sale. I know where there is a 10' brake, but although it's just sitting abandoned, the owners don't want to part with it. Just as well, I don't have the space or need for one that large. After you get a few bends done, and decide on that capacity, I'd like to know what you would change before I start mine.

Mark, that is about the capacity I think I would want. I may sometime this summer built myself on. In this area, I never see any good sheet metal equipment up for sale. I know where there is a 10' brake, but although it's just sitting abandoned, the owners don't want to part with it. Just as well, I don't have the space or need for one that large. After you get a few bends done, and decide on that capacity, I'd like to know what you would change before I start mine.
You bet..... I will report my findings.

Back