• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

My Next Project - A Metal Brake

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
upside down metal break is cool, would save a lot of floor space. What I really need to know is how you get all the other stuff to stay up? Seriously though this is a project that is awesome!

mark_f

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I feel like I really made progress today. I got the bending leaf fit up and it works just like it should! I cut out the handles according to the prints ..... more or less.
IMG_0543.JPG I rounded the ends on the belt sander as I have done with other parts. I then milled the basic shape. I feel this handle design is a little lacking, so I am making handle extensions to extend the length of the handles by about 6 inches.
IMG_0547.JPG the handle extensions are made from an 8" length of 1" square bar stock. I turn down 5.500" of the bar to .875" diameter.
IMG_0548.JPG This is the finished handle extension with a fancy grip ( that matches the ones on the clamp handles)

IMG_0545.JPG I test fit the bending leaf and everything lined up and fit good ( I so happy :dancing banana:). I am really impressed with the 2 1/4" high bending leaf. I feel this will work better than the 1/2" as in the prints, but we shall see when the testing begins.

IMG_0546.JPG This is a view of the bending leaf in the up position.

IMG_0549.JPG This is a test fit of the handle extension. There will be one on each side. This will make bending much easier with my old arthritic hands.

The steel for the fingers will be here tomorrow. I need a way to mill a lot of repeat angles on the ends so I am making a tilt table to put on my mill. it will make this job much easier. I am just going to make a rough version of the tilt table to use for this project and then I will dress it up and make it nice later. I will post the table here as soon as it is welded up. IMG_0544.JPG

FOMOGO

Active User
Really looking good Mark. Mike

mark_f

Today I finished making the handle extensions for the brake. I just have to drill and bolt them on.
IMG_0555.JPG

I had to take a couple hours to start on the tilt table I need to mill the angles on the fingers. I need a good solid set up that will be easy for repeatability because there is a lot of milling and drilling on the fingers. I found some scraps of steel , sawed them up to size, did a little milling and I got a good start on it.
IMG_0553.JPG I made two pivot blocks, reamed them for a 5/8" piece of drill rod. I found two scraps of heavy angle iron, I milled square and reamed holes for the drill rod.
IMG_0554.JPG I used SHCS to bolt the table made from a scrap of 1/2" plate to the pivot blocks.
IMG_0556.JPG I can clamp the "wings" to my mill table. I will make a couple "locks" for the ends of the drill rod to lock it in position. The front will set on a machinist's jack to hold it up. I will "pretty" it up into a precision piece later after I'm done with the brake. That will be another project.

The last few weeks have been really busy. I am working on a lot of things at the same time. I started building the metal brake and am building the tilt table because I need it for the brake fingers. I am also building a 2" X 42" belt sander. A hobby machinist friend of mine wants to make one so we are sharing materials and skills to make one for each of us. I am doing a complete build write up on it also and will post it here when finished. I am also building another tool and cutter grinder as I get the materials and I just got a batch of aluminum I needed for it so I will be getting back to that as soon as the brake is complete. I started making a fence for the drill press today also. It will make drilling the 22 holes in the finger bar for the brake a lot easier. So....... :grin: I am very busy as of late. I am feeling pretty good so I want to get things done before my next surgery as it will lay me up a few weeks :(. I just have to be careful not to get too worn down:faint:. It has been some time since I could have this much fun :dancing banana:.

Last edited:

FOMOGO

Active User
You da man Mark. If you get all that done by the end of April I could really use someone with your abilities and work ethic out at my place to help me get caught up. Just kidding, kinda. You never fail to amaze and inspire me, and I'm sure many others here. Best of luck on your next medical adventure. Mike

mark_f

You da man Mark. If you get all that done by the end of April I could really use someone with your abilities and work ethic out at my place to help me get caught up. Just kidding, kinda. You never fail to amaze and inspire me, and I'm sure many others here. Best of luck on your next medical adventure. Mike
WHAT???????? This stuff will all be done before the end of February :grin: (with the exception of the cutter grinder. it is a slow going as I find materials).

Last edited:

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
Forgive my skepticism, but I question your stories about these builds. I'm starting to think you have some sort of molecular-level telekinetic control of the metal.

It's the speed at which you accomplish all of this that makes it seem suspicious. ;) However you're doing it, don't stop. I'm learning a lot. :)

mark_f

Forgive my skepticism, but I question your stories about these builds. I'm starting to think you have some sort of molecular-level telekinetic control of the metal.

It's the speed at which you accomplish all of this that makes it seem suspicious. ;) However you're doing it, don't stop. I'm learning a lot. :)
YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME AND WATCH.

And so is anyone else

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
I'm very sorry! Just my screwy way of saying I'm impressed. I can never find enough time to do a small fraction of what you're doing. Like to the extent that it seems like magic. I know it isn't. (That's why there is a ;) and a :) in the post.)

As I said, keep it up. You're doing great work and I'm learning a lot.

tomh

Registered
Registered
mark
Is the paint you are using wrinkle paint? If so did you use heat to activate it. what color blue is it? I like the color.

Tomh

mark_f

mark
Is the paint you are using wrinkle paint? If so did you use heat to activate it. what color blue is it? I like the color.

Tomh
Yes , it is wrinkle paint and I do bake it in the oven at 225 - 250 degrees F. There is an earlier post all about it. I got it from Amazon.

rrjohnso2000

mark,

Great build, throughly enjoy watching your progress.

Thanks for sharringthe paint you use. You mentioned how you used it before but I couldn't quite follow. Are you just using the manufactures recommendation, three part system or something different.

If it's different would you mind sharing all the steps you use because your paint looks great after your great builds.

mark_f

Since starting the bending brake, I have had to take a little time to build a tilt table for my mill to make it easier to machine the fingers. I finished the tilt table today and also installed the handle extensions on the brake. I like them much better than the short handles in the prints. IMG_0561.JPG These are the new handles installed.

The tilt table is completed with a clamp and stop to set up for the fingers.

While building the brake, I have been also working on a project to fill spare time while waiting on parts or material. I designed a 2" X 42" belt sander and have been working on it in spare time. today I assembled the base and motor. While I designed this for a 48 frame motor, someone gave me a 1/2 HP 56 frame motor which is 1/2" higher shaft height. This required I make some brackets to adapt the frame to the larger motor. Today I mocked up the sander assembly to check the parts for fit. I will be posting a PDF file on this build when it is complete. I expect I will complete the brake and the sander about the same time. These three photos are of the sander thus far. I am ready to finish the tracking assembly but wanted to mock everything to check fit first.
Sander Mock up.JPG
Sander Mock up (2).JPG
Sander Mock up (3).JPG

The drive wheel was machined from a 4 inch diameter chunk of aluminum round bar.
Drive pulley roughed on first side.JPG
Finished Drive Wheel 2.JPG

The idler wheel was machined from 2 1/2" aluminum bar stock
Idler Pulley.JPG Finished idler with ball bearings.

This brake and sander will be great additions to my shop.

mark_f

The 2 inch wide belt sander is finished. This was a fill in project I was building at the same time as building the sheet metal bending brake. Here are photos of the finished sander. I have a complete write up of the sander build with plans and photos. I will share it with anyone that wants to build one.
finished sander.JPG finished sander2.JPG finished sander3.JPG finished sander4.JPG

The metal bending brake is almost completed. the only thing left to do is make the fingers which I will be doing soon. There will also be a complete write up on it with photos.

I will also soon have plans and a write up for the tilt table built for machining the fingers on the brake.

gmcken

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Will be following this build. I need a brake but other projects are in process now. Keep up the great work!

sanddan

Active User
Thanks for taking the time to document your projects and then sharing them with us.:encourage:

NEL957

Active User
Registered
Mark
Looking very good, when I can get to it I think I'll be making one to take a 1 inch by 30 inches belt. I'm kind of looking at clock and the works. Now to finish what I'm working on. I plan to finish the basic Quorn and start some of the accessories that is needed this summer. We will see.
Be well my friend
Nelson Collar

mark_f

Mark
Looking very good, when I can get to it I think I'll be making one to take a 1 inch by 30 inches belt. I'm kind of looking at clock and the works. Now to finish what I'm working on. I plan to finish the basic Quorn and start some of the accessories that is needed this summer. We will see.
Be well my friend
Nelson Collar

Thank you Nelson,

I am finishing up all the final details on several of my projects. One in particular is the mill tilt table. I made the table in 2 days to make the fingers for my brake. Now I am polishing it up and milling and grinding it to be a fancy precision piece of equipment.

NEL957

Active User
Registered
Mark
You go man, I love to see what you are inspiring others to do and what I see you are a popular man in this site. A lot of nice projects have come out of your inspiration. Some that might have not been made with out your input.
Like I said, You The Man!
Continue my friend
Nelson Collar

firestopper

Mark,

I've said if before, I'll say it again. You sir are a fine machinist!

Thanks for a great thread, its always a learning experience when you post up your projects.

mark_f

The bending brake is winding down. all that is left is the fingers and I am working on them. BUT ......as soon as the brake is completed , I already have my next project scheduled and it is a good one. It is another Tool and cutter grinder..... BUT it is easier to build than a Quorn or Bonelle and it will put both of those machines to shame for ease of use and versatility. It is my design comprised of features from three different manufacturers. It will have accessories that I will make also. I don't have a drawing of the grinder but it will be a cross between a Cutter Master Professional and a Cutter Master HDT 610 With a few features of a Darex. The attached photos here are two of the accessories I will be making, plus a work head similar to the Bonelle work head and of course I have the air bearing. The price tag on materials hopefully will be around $250. I have about half of what I need and am scrounging for the rest. This build will be long as it will not be my usual jump in and Get R done routine. Once finished, I will be getting rid of the Bonelle as it won't be needed. This one will out perform it greatly. So .... get your pop corn and keep watching.
7123970-11.jpg a 001.JPG I plan similar items as these as accessories.
Mark Frazier

I will still be doing smaller projects during this build. As I said, this will be a slow build as I get materials and I intend to only work a couple days a week on it because i have a big list of details to do and fix on my machines and some of my tooling.

Last edited:

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Popcorn popping...

I will watch this with great interest. I 'almost' pulled the trigger on a Cutter Master a few weeks back. I do like that design better than the Quorn or Bonelle.

mark_f

I finally got the jig to drill the holes in the clamp bar on my brake . now I can get it finished up. A friend who has a Bridgeport with DRO on it made me a jig to drill the holes accurately. Since my mill does not have DRO ... and I wanted to do them on the drill press to make the job faster. I set upp a fence on my drill press table to hold the bar that gets 21 tapped holes. the fence will keep the edge constant so All I need is to keep the spacing accurate.
IMG_0629.JPG Here you can see the fence and the jig has three 5/16" holes ( the size for 3/8-16 tap drill) spaced exactly 1" apart and the proper distance from the edge. There are 21 holes in the finger bar. I layout the first hole in the center of the bar and center drill, then drill it. I put the jig on the bar and insert a 5/16" dowel pin in the first hole and into the bar. Holding it against the fence, I use the holes in the jig to center drill the next two holes, remove the jig and drill them. then repeat this process until all holes are done. this worked great and precisely located all the holes accurately using my drill press.
IMG_0630.JPG Here I used the jig to line up the center drill.
IMG_0631.JPG After drilling all the holes, the bar was turned over and all the holes were back drilled 7/16" to a depth of .375". this is because the bar was beefed up from 5/8" thick to 1" thick. All these holes get tapped and do not need 1 inch of threads. 5/8" of threads is more than enough for a 3/816 bolt and this will make the tapping much easier.
IMG_0632.JPG The finger clamp bar is completed and installed on the brake. this heavier bar will hopefully eliminate any flexing when clamping. The metal lying on the brake is for the fingers. Now that the bar is done, it is time to finish up the fingers and finish this project. I will try to get them next weekend hopefully.

mark_f

:bawling: I made a big BOO-BOO. I spent three hours drilling and tapping the 21 holes in the finger clamp bar in their precise location. AND THEN IT HAPPENED! I looked at the print and there is supposed to be 22 holes! :bawling:
:headache: I have been working for the last 2 hours trying to figure a way to make this work without much success. The only thing I have come up with so far is to make a couple special fingers for the ends and maybe it could work. I ain't happy doing that but as long as I have fingers all the way across it is OK. when doing a box bend there will be gaps in the fingers.

The only other solution is to buy another $30 bar of steel and make the part over again. :burned up:

NEL957

Active User
Registered
Mark
It is something that happens to all of us at one time or the other. Put it behind you and buy a new bar and double check all of your numbers.
Keep the good work up
Nelson Collar

Last edited:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Mark we've all been there. That just sucks.

tomh

Registered
Registered
Mark
I know the feeling, but sometimes things will workout for the best out in the end. Who knows Those odd fingers may come in handy, I suggest you sleep on it :black eye: The build is looking great either way .:encourage::encourage::encourage:

mark_f

OK ..... I have one solution.........

Finger Layout.jpg
I make two 1 1/2 " fingers and use them on the ends. I have a full bar. If doing a box, I still have the ability to go to 1/2" increments, and doing a box I wouldn't have a full bar anyway. Even though the 1 1/2" fingers are special, they still can be added too the end of any setup. Oh..... this setup requires two more holes which is no problem ( i think)

Or just buy a new bar :(

[6]
[5] [7]