My Next Project - A Metal Brake

I'm very sorry! Just my screwy way of saying I'm impressed. I can never find enough time to do a small fraction of what you're doing. Like to the extent that it seems like magic. I know it isn't. (That's why there is a ;) and a :) in the post.)

As I said, keep it up. You're doing great work and I'm learning a lot.

mark
Is the paint you are using wrinkle paint? If so did you use heat to activate it. what color blue is it? I like the color.

Tomh

mark
Is the paint you are using wrinkle paint? If so did you use heat to activate it. what color blue is it? I like the color.

Tomh
Yes , it is wrinkle paint and I do bake it in the oven at 225 - 250 degrees F. There is an earlier post all about it. I got it from Amazon.

mark,

Great build, throughly enjoy watching your progress.

Thanks for sharringthe paint you use. You mentioned how you used it before but I couldn't quite follow. Are you just using the manufactures recommendation, three part system or something different.

If it's different would you mind sharing all the steps you use because your paint looks great after your great builds.

Since starting the bending brake, I have had to take a little time to build a tilt table for my mill to make it easier to machine the fingers. I finished the tilt table today and also installed the handle extensions on the brake. I like them much better than the short handles in the prints. IMG_0561.JPG These are the new handles installed.

The tilt table is completed with a clamp and stop to set up for the fingers.

While building the brake, I have been also working on a project to fill spare time while waiting on parts or material. I designed a 2" X 42" belt sander and have been working on it in spare time. today I assembled the base and motor. While I designed this for a 48 frame motor, someone gave me a 1/2 HP 56 frame motor which is 1/2" higher shaft height. This required I make some brackets to adapt the frame to the larger motor. Today I mocked up the sander assembly to check the parts for fit. I will be posting a PDF file on this build when it is complete. I expect I will complete the brake and the sander about the same time. These three photos are of the sander thus far. I am ready to finish the tracking assembly but wanted to mock everything to check fit first.
Sander Mock up.JPG
Sander Mock up (2).JPG
Sander Mock up (3).JPG

The drive wheel was machined from a 4 inch diameter chunk of aluminum round bar.
Drive pulley roughed on first side.JPG
Finished Drive Wheel 2.JPG

The idler wheel was machined from 2 1/2" aluminum bar stock
Idler Pulley.JPG Finished idler with ball bearings.

This brake and sander will be great additions to my shop.

The 2 inch wide belt sander is finished. This was a fill in project I was building at the same time as building the sheet metal bending brake. Here are photos of the finished sander. I have a complete write up of the sander build with plans and photos. I will share it with anyone that wants to build one.
finished sander.JPG finished sander2.JPG finished sander3.JPG finished sander4.JPG

The metal bending brake is almost completed. the only thing left to do is make the fingers which I will be doing soon. There will also be a complete write up on it with photos.

I will also soon have plans and a write up for the tilt table built for machining the fingers on the brake.

Will be following this build. I need a brake but other projects are in process now. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for taking the time to document your projects and then sharing them with us.:encourage:

Mark
Looking very good, when I can get to it I think I'll be making one to take a 1 inch by 30 inches belt. I'm kind of looking at clock and the works. Now to finish what I'm working on. I plan to finish the basic Quorn and start some of the accessories that is needed this summer. We will see.
Be well my friend
Nelson Collar

Mark
Looking very good, when I can get to it I think I'll be making one to take a 1 inch by 30 inches belt. I'm kind of looking at clock and the works. Now to finish what I'm working on. I plan to finish the basic Quorn and start some of the accessories that is needed this summer. We will see.
Be well my friend
Nelson Collar

Thank you Nelson,

I am finishing up all the final details on several of my projects. One in particular is the mill tilt table. I made the table in 2 days to make the fingers for my brake. Now I am polishing it up and milling and grinding it to be a fancy precision piece of equipment.

Back