• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

My Next Project

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Heres a quick look at my next project and what at it took to get in my driveway.Got to change the motor and trans and replace the radiator . More pictures as I get in to it. ***************Just Saying************Gator*************:mechanic:

Train 002.jpg Train 003.jpg Train 006.jpg Train 007.jpg

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
Very cool project. Can I borrow that for my Friday night drive home on the 405 Fwy in SoCal
. :roflmao:

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Cool looks neat. I thought you got a towtruck at first.:roflmao: Is it going to be street legal.:whistle:

zmotorsports

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I thought you were referencing the tow truck at first.

Looks to be a cool project. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Mike.

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Fab, Don't know if you would like to pay the gas bill to get it there. I'v been on the 405 and that cow catcher would be real handy. :lmao::rofl::lmao: KD it is street legal head lights , turn signals and one hell of a horn. ****************** *************Gator***************************************************

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Well the fun has begun.I have to say my hats off to who ever did the metal fab work on this beast. But if I catch the guy that wired this thing I would give him advice. Change jobs cause your not good at this one.Miles of red wire dangled and bunched up in knots.No rhyme or reason and not one tag to explane where it goes or what it does.On the brighter side all I have to do is remove and replace the motor and transmission and put in a new radiator. This old girl sports a 455 big block Buick mated to a turbo 400 trans.Pictures to follow.********************************************************** **********Just Saying**********************Gator****************************

Train 035.jpg Train 043.jpg Train 044.jpg Train 040.jpg

tertiaryjim

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Don't cut the blue wire! :panic:

X-RAY

Active User
Registered
i also thought the big petercar was the project. sometimes with wiring its easier and quicker to start from scratch. a pretty cool project, cant wait to see more.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wow, what a rat's nest. Yup, time to start over.

CoopVA

Active User
Registered
That's pretty cool! I'd just rip all that wore out and start over....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
I'v been working on the railroad this morning.Only took 2 hours to isolate the wires I need to make the new motor work the rest of that mess is some one elses problem unless they want to pay me time and material to fix it.Tried to start the engine but gave up when loud knock was heard on every revolution.So now all I have to do is clear monkey puzzle of brackets , wires and pipes that are in the way to lift it out. One strange thing I saw when I was under her is the drive axle has hydraulic brakes.All the ones I have worked on that big had air brakes.
Yesterday I couldn't help myself.I filled the 4 air tanks with the shop compressor. Sure got the neighbors attention ,5 train horns on the cab roof and a whistle by the stack up front.Boy howdee so loud the dogs started to join in. Got to keep them on there toes and have a little fun when you can. Pictures to follow.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
**********************Gator**********************************************

Stuff 012.jpg Stuff 013.jpg

Terry Werm

Gold
Former Member
Looks like one heck of a project, Gator! I agree on the removal of the old wiring and start over, but that can get pretty expensive in short order. I assume this thing belongs to some local organization like the VFW, American Legion, or similar?

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
You called it Terry it belongs to the 40 and 8 fraternal org. The name comes from the first World War.In France the rail cars could hold 40 men and 8 horses. There is rail car that goes behind the engine.********************Gator**************:blues:​*******

Terry Werm

Gold
Former Member
I am familiar with the 40 and 8 cars, but not the organization. Kudos to you for lending them a hand!

Mid Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom, Wisconsin has one of those cars, by the way. It was donated to the museum by the Wisconsin Voiture of the American Legion.

Here is a photo of it during dedication ceremonies, June 8, 1969, from the website of Mid-Continent Railway Museum.

1969a.jpg

1969a.jpg

Last edited:

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Spent one hour cleaning road crud off the motor compartment. Blew it dry with air hose and wire brushed and PB blasted all the nuts and bolts I have to remove tomarrow.I'll post pictures as it comes out.******************Gator************:mechanic:

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Well got the motor out it only cost me six cold adult beverages to my buddy next door for use of his fork lift.Cheap and easy didn't even have to split the motor and trans in the train.Just a small amount of 2" x 4" persuasion and out she came.Sure could have used that when I was younger.Would have posted pictures sooner but my camera died.So I called on my friend that has the custom hot rod shop to take the pics.He wound up doing double duty helping with the lift and snapping the pics. It all went smooth and that motor is now in the local NAPA machine shop for inspection and rebuild.Sure hope they didn't lunch {ruin} this motor it's a 1973 which means pre smog control and a true 425 HP.Pictures to follow.*****
*********Just Saying***************Gator**********************************

DSCF5641.JPG DSCF5646.JPG DSCF5651.JPG

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member

Engine all torn down.Got to teach them to check the oil.Welded # 7 and 8 rod bearings together and took out crank.Good news is block is OK. Pictures to follow.
*******The Fun Never Stops***************Gator*******************************

DSCF5736 (2) (Small).JPG DSCF5737 (Small).JPG

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Got all the parts back so it's time to put this old girl back together again.More pictures tomorrow.
******************G*************************

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
This project was delayed by my partner going to the hospital for six weeks.but I'm happy to report that he's back and we dropped the rebuilt motor back in today.Sorry to say no pictures today as we were all busy.I'll try to get some tomarrow as we put the old girl together.Sorry for the delay but life sometimes gets in the way what you got planed.
**********G**********

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
I'm making headway on the Train.Rebuilt the 4 barrel 'chester carb and swaped out the old alternator for a 100 amp model.Got a new distributer for more Zap.So all in all should be ready to hear her run by Tuesday. Then it's time to work my way thru that rat's nest of wiring. Not looking forward to that part of the job. Got some pictures taken and if you look close you can see my uncle Jack hooking up the starter.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
*********************G**************************************

train 073.jpg train 074.jpg train 075.jpg train 071.jpg

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
The beast lives again.Fired up today and she runs smooth.Now all I have to do is get rid of 50 years of patches instead of fixes and she should be ready to go.
I took a video of her running but still have to figure out how to post it.
************The Fun Never Stops**********************Gator*********************

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Been working on the train.Seems like for every improvement and upgrade I make on this project 3 more things give give up and break.I like a challenge but this one is trying my patience.I'v been replacing one wire at a time. Double crimped and heat shrinked over the ends.
I be darned if somebody didn't used some 4 pair phone wire to power the coil.I except by the time I get done I'll have 10 lbs of wire taken out to get her to run.
A new glitch the steering column key switch decided to stop working." Oh Spit "{Cleaned up for forum use}
JADIP
Pictures to follow. train wireing 008.jpg train wireing 004.jpg train wireing 002.jpg
*********Thanks for Looking***********************G*******************

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
What a rat's nest. Time to start over maybe.

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Worked on the Train today.Took her down to my buddies shop to set the timing and adjust the carb. Then a quick test drive around the warehouses next door.Rides like an old John Deer tractor with no springs . Since this was her first trip under her own power I broke out the flags and did it right.Shes a beast to turn and you need a copilot in the jump seat to tell you whats on that side since you can't see over the "Boiler" Turning radius is about 80' so you really have to think ahead.
train 092.jpg train 092.jpg train 100.jpg train 096.jpg

Shes a dog off the line but when you get rolling she picks up speed in a hurry.
Talked to the group that owns her and we got the go ahead to fix the wiring and work on the rear axle.
******More Pictures Later*****************Gator*************

Mark in Indiana

Active User
Registered
Wow! I've brought home a lot of projects that got me in trouble over the past 33 years of marriage. That one would put me waaaay over the top. Congratulations!

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
cool cars 069.jpg cool cars 070.jpg train 097.jpg Here is a view from the drivers side in the train. ***JADIP****************G*****************************

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
that's a mighty fine train there Gator!!!
:D

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Fantastic and lovely project !
I need one too :D

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
My friend Brian shot this short video the train on the move. It's a little bouncy cause he was blowing the horns and whistle and ringing the bell.
Hope this works .
Here is the link.
And a few pictures of the train on the move from the drivers view point.
***********JADIP********************Gator****************************:bash computer:*****************************
train 103.jpg train 105.jpg train 108.jpg

[6]
[5] [7]