My NOS Rohm Lathe Chuck

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got my chuck today that I bought off of Ebay for $250 shipped.
It was advertised as a trade show chuck NOS which we all know means new old stock.
This thing look used to me although the jaws look new the body is beat up some.
Either the scroll is frozen or Rohm chucks are special cause I can't get the jaws to move.
One thing that I suspect that if in face it was a trade show chuck they may have locked the jaws somehow so as to not be stolen.
Still trying to figure out why it would be scratches and gouges on the body though.
Here is the original posting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-ROHM-6-...6OTA5pXf21I3RlbqUtGPw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It's locked up or just hard turning. There not hard to take apart , I'd start there , then if it's abused send it back or get a refund of it's cost. Grease may be hard or even broken inside.

Got it to budge just barely.
Pulling apart now.

Either the scroll is frozen or Rohm chucks are special cause I can't get the jaws to move.

Nothing special about Rohm chucks. I've got three of them and they all work fine. As stated by others here, I'd bet it's got some really stiff (hard) old grease in it. Maybe soaking it in a tub of kerosene for a day or so would get thing loosened up.

Ted

I got it apart and you guys are correct. Nasty old crunchy grease.
Thanks for the answer.

Although the grease was very old and a bit hard I believe the real reason was that they put a loctite type substance on the scroll. Once I got teh old grease cleaned off I noticed this light tan colored hard substance. I had to scrape it off as it was crunchy.

So my next question is should I re-grease or just oil it? I believe it has a grease port.

Back