NSFW My Oliver S-1 Die Filer finally made it! BUT, UPS had their way with it.

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As I mentioned elsewhere, I had a hankering for a die filer. I looked around, and found an Oliver S-1 for about 1/2 the price of elsewhere on Facebook Marketplace, and talked the person into shipping it to me (for more than the purchase price!).

Anyway, it arrived today.

The box itself was 'rounded' on the corners, but didn't look too bad. I started unloading it, and saw this:

PXL_20230111_000613286.jpg

My heart stopped here, but I kept digging:PXL_20230111_000635414.jpg

As you can see, the overarm support wasn't removed (despite me suggesting they remove it, AND the motor), and it got snapped off. You might also notice that the motor isn't mounted in place from this view, but it wasn't first priority. SO, I continued and unloaded. Here is the over-arm damage:

PXL_20230111_000733706.jpgPXL_20230111_001050794.jpg

It split in an area that is 'pinned' in place on that shaft. The shaft pivots on the bottom part, so at leas tit isn't a moving part!

I brought it to the welding/fab shop in town, so I'm hopeful they can either weld or braze it back together and save it.

As I mentioned, the motor ALSO busted its way out of its bracket:

PXL_20230111_000844625.jpgPXL_20230111_000846596.jpg

This is annoying, but not that big of a deal I think. The stamped metal bracket the motor sits in is bent apart, but I suspect I can do some work to try to get it all back together. The machine-side part of the bracket is not bent, so everything should hopefully still line up.

The machine is pretty filthy, but spins very nicely using the hand crank. I'm hopeful this means that after a clean up and re-oil that this will work fine! The wiring for the motor is... scary to say the least, so I'll likely be doing work on that as well as making a stand for it.

Biggest problem with Ebay I've had is that- people who don't have a clue about shipping heavy items- of course UPS is well known for rough handling
Even if you try to suggest how to pack it, they don't. Really sucks when you are dealing with rare items
I feel your pain

Biggest problem with Ebay I've had is that- people who don't have a clue about shipping heavy items- of course UPS is well known for rough handling
Even if you try to suggest how to pack it, they don't. Really sucks when you are dealing with rare items
I feel your pain
Yeah, I was pretty bummed to see it. I'm hopeful the welder can get it back together right, he's pretty talented from what I can see. The seller has SAID they'll work with UPS to refund the shipping, which would probably make up for needing a repair.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed to see it. I'm hopeful the welder can get it back together right, he's pretty talented from what I can see. The seller has SAID they'll work with UPS to refund the shipping, which would probably make up for needing a repair.
Lots of luck with that! UPS says that if an item is damaged in shipping, it is not their fault, that the item was not packed well enough, which in most cases, I think is pretty much true. I think I've heard that their protocol is to not have employees bend over to set packages down, and just throw/drop them to avoid back injuries.

Lots of luck with that! UPS says that if an item is damaged in shipping, it is not their fault, that the item was not packed well enough, which in most cases, I think is pretty much true. I think I've heard that their protocol is to not have employees bend over to set packages down, and just throw/drop them to avoid back injuries.
I believe at least that the person shipped it through a UPS store, which I'm hoping they used to do the packing for them, so perhaps they'll convince the store it was their fault? Either way, it stinks, but not end-of-the-world I guess. I'm pretty much figuring I'll end up eating the costs of it all anyway :/ I'm just hoping it can be repaired without costing TOO much though...

Fortunately a die filer isn’t much of a precision machine. Hopefully they did have UPS package it which ought to be enough to get a refund.

When I ran my engine building business I ate my share of shipping mishaps so I learned how to pack things very well. Can’t comment on policy but I stopped using UPS after the strike when they brought in non-union drivers I think.

FedEx wasn’t much better but by then I’d learned and paid the extra for heavy duty plastic boxes. Not only were they much stronger, it also gave the drivers an easy place to grab onto.

John

Basic packing has ONE SIMPLE final check.

Shake the box, if anything moves or any noise is heard, you are not done.

First look at this box indicates it was not packed well.

It would not have made it safely regardless of carrier.

Ask seller to refund 100%.

If they had UPS store pack it then it is on them.

The SENDER needs to file the claim, you paid for an item to be shipped to you with the expectation it would be PROPERLY packed and shipped.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It really breaks my heart to see stuff like this, when you asked the seller to ship it , did you also discus how to package it ? I know we all want to blame UPS but this heavy machine should have been packaged better by the seller, I feel your pain , let us hope you could bring it back to life again.

Last edited:
Back