NSFW My Oliver S-1 Die Filer finally made it! BUT, UPS had their way with it.

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.
Basic packing has ONE SIMPLE final check.

Shake the box, if anything moves or any noise is heard, you are not done.

First look at this box indicates it was not packed well.

It would not have made it safely regardless of carrier.

Ask seller to refund 100%.

If they had UPS store pack it then it is on them.

The SENDER needs to file the claim, you paid for an item to be shipped to you with the expectation it would be PROPERLY packed and shipped.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Sender said they are going to UPS tomorrow... I'm not optimistic, but I'll see what I get back.

It really breaks my heart to stuff like this, when you asked the seller to ship it , did you also discus how to package it ? I know we all want to blame UPS but this heavy machine should have been package better by the seller, I feel your pain , let us hope you could bring it back to life again.

I didn't discuss how to package it, other than suggesting they remove the motor and overarm support for exactly this reason. They seem to have opted not to do that :/

Man, that is a worst-case scenario. It looks like it's repairable, but that doesn't seem take the sting out of it at all.

I wish people shipping heavy items would learn how to do it. You can't just use loose foam, or worse, packing peanuts. Probably the best packaging I've received was a rackmount network switch. They wrapped it in plastic, then surrounded it with what looks like expanding foam. The result was a package that felt like a solid object from the outside and nothing could move. I'm not sure that trick would work with machines/parts though. For that you might be better off bolting it to wood, and building a wood box inside the cardboard box to support and protect it. Or maybe bolted to a pallet, build a box around it, and ship freight. That's what PM did with my lathe, and it came though fine.

I wish people shipping heavy items would learn how to do it. You can't just use loose foam, or worse, packing peanuts. Probably the best packaging I've received was a rackmount network switch. They wrapped it in plastic, then surrounded it with what looks like expanding foam. The result was a package that felt like a solid object from the outside and nothing could move. I'm not sure that trick would work with machines/parts though. For that you might be better off bolting it to wood, and building a wood box inside the cardboard box to support and protect it. Or maybe bolted to a pallet, build a box around it, and ship freight. That's what PM did with my lathe, and it came though fine.
The best shipped thing I ever had was one that didn't need it at all! It was a ~10" round, ~8" thick hunk of rough-cut steel. They covered it in foam taped to it, taped wood over that foam, taped foam on top of that, put it in a MILK CRATE (I still use it as a stool for my drawbar!), then taped foam, plywood, foam to that milk-crate, then put it in a box.

My wife joked that they needed that much packaging to protect the world from the steel!

But yeah, this probably should have had a crate, though even just taking off the motor and removing the overarm support would have saved it :/

I've come to suspect that UPS (employees, drivers, etc) resent heavy packages and make an extra effort to take it out on the package.

Anytime I've shipped something heavy I've made a wooden crate and bolted out to that, then put the crate in a box and wrapped the bejesus out of it in fabric tape. Sometimes the box or create get beat up but I've never (touch wood) had any damage to the items.

Yep, Matt packs 'em good. He uses drops and scrap metal to fill the voids!
Oh definitely! If you are following my gear hobber thread, he hooked me up with a great deal on most of what I'd need for a horizontal milling adapter for my Bridgeport clone! USPS did their BEST to destroy it (including breaking much of his crate!), but the tools came out perfect! He filled the gaps with 'air', but at the deal I got, I'm not complaining :D

Probably the 2nd best packing job of anything I've ever seen, and only because that one place used a milk crate around a giant hunk of steel they could have just put the shipping label on :D

Sorry about the lack of drops in that package Erich. It wasn't from stinginess, I didn't want to risk anything wandering around in there and damaging the right angle head/ arbor support

Last edited:
Sorry about the lack of drops in that package Erich. It wasn't from stinginess, I didn't want to risk anything mongering around in there and damaging the right angle head/ arbor support
I have ZERO complaints :D

Back