NSFW My Oliver S-1 Die Filer finally made it! BUT, UPS had their way with it.

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.
So, after sleeping on it, I HAAATED the threads. I don't know what garbage metal that piece was, but it had a couple of chips in the thread.

SO, I took a scrap of 1144 that i had, and turned threads on it:

PXL_20230123_232552678.jpg

Then, I slowly whittled away the rest of the bar on the mill:

PXL_20230123_233021541.jpg

And ended up with:

PXL_20230124_005453800.jpg

AND, all assembled:

PXL_20230124_010807715.jpg

The ONE problem: The file doesn't actually line up with the center of the hole! There isn't any way to adjust this, so it must be part of the design. SO, the insert I made ended up being a touch too tight. I'll have to toss it back on the lathe tomorrow and make it a little bigger.

Either way, I'm just calling this project "done"!. Its nice to finally finish one!

As a conclusion to all of this: A check arrived from the UPS Store in a handwritten envelope yesterday for the full amount of the welder's bill! So in the end, all I am out is the consternation and having to re-paint the overarm!

Lots of luck with that! UPS says that if an item is damaged in shipping, it is not their fault, that the item was not packed well enough, which in most cases, I think is pretty much true. I think I've heard that their protocol is to not have employees bend over to set packages down, and just throw/drop them to avoid back injuries.
i had curved tempered glass manufactured by ppg. at one time 100% was broken shipping ups. only thing i did different was not put glass and fragile labels on the box. since then 100% no breakage

Back