My other addiction ..VW's

Since we've already thread-jacked and are kind of off topic, I'd like to see the cuda and the F-1.

Here is a pic of my son's '67 Cuda and '49 F-1. Both are still a work in progress.

IMG_4051.jpg IMG_1573.JPG

All I've got to add to this thread is this.

BMVWMagPhoto.jpg

It's a 1967 BMW motorcycle with a late 50's VW motor. I dragged it out of a friend's barn a couple years ago. He had it for about 30 years and quit riding it about 25 years ago. I blew up the tranny about 30 miles after getting it up and running again. The input shaft bearing cage presumably rusted to the balls, and disintegrated on me on the road. I rebuild the transmission last year, making some of the bushings and internals myself. So much fun! It's kick-start only, through the motorcycle trans (mostly original BMW with a modified countershaft to change the ratios). The engine is a singleport with dual 28 PCI's. Possibly other internal mods, not sure.

BMVWMagPhoto.jpg

Wow! that is a cool bike! I've been looking for one of those for quite a while.

This is a trip down memory lane for me, I've had a couple of bugs, I learned how to drive in one. I would like to get another one some day, their not as plentiful as they once where and are bringing higher prices for a decent one that's not completely rusted out. I love the simplicity of the little cars. And their a hoot to drive too!

Now this is my kind of thread! Cool VW's, old BMW bikes, and vehicle storage ideas to boot. It makes me want to start wrenching on my mothballed '70 Ghia.

Randy

Back