My PM 835 has arrived

chiroone

Registered
Registered
Has title suggests my PM 835 arrived today.

Nicole shipped it out Friday, with the idea that it would hit me here in Florida on Wednesday and then I could delay the delivery until Friday. But for some strange reason, it hit Florida on Sunday, and they delivered it today.

I wasn’t really ready, but fortunately my wife was home and the delivery driver took pity upon her and place it in the garage for me.

It was in a huge crate that looked like it could hold a family of four with even some room left for .furniture. The crate was so well put together, it took me quite some time with the shorts sledge in a crowbar even to take it apart.

Upon breaking it apart, my eyes were greeted by this beautiful huge machine. It is much bigger than I suspected it would be and I think it’s going to be a real challenge to get it off the pallet which appears quite built up

It appears to be a very well put together machine, what I can tell, finish seems pretty good on it . However, the lower part of the casting of the base has some rather rough holes in it that I think are for putting steel rods in and using a forklift to move it. Other than that , it is a beauty.

I’ve attached a few pics for everyone to see. It looks like it’s covered with a fair amount of grease and I think it’s going to take some work with some rags and some WD-40 to clean it up. More pictures are coming
D44BC466-6939-466C-A9E1-6498B3CEACBC.jpeg
731B9755-5C1E-40CF-AE1C-3D57C8D36E98.jpeg

Last edited:
Now the real fun begins. I have to get it off of this pallet and placed on the floor. Best I can tell, I think I’m going to have to use an engine hoist and some straps . Although it has an eyelet on top of the head, I don’t think that would be effective as I see the thing swinging around like a pendulum and when you have 3/4 of a ton doing that it could be a little dangerous

A couple of friends to help. One to steady it, the other to pull out the pallet while you're on the hoist slowly releasing pressure.
Is that epoxy covering on the concrete under the pallet? :) Whatever it is - looks good!

Looks like a challenge. I use two tall high lift 2 ton rated shop cranes with the booms stretched out in the half ton position to lift my lathe with cast stands. Maybe do something similar, lift with two engine lifts at the same time. I need to build a small portable gantry some day with a good strong chain hoist.

Just tie the pallet to your bumper hitch and floor it...kinda like swiping the table cloth from under the dinnerware, if you're quick you can do it! :p

Congrats on the mill, what did you have before this one?

Stioc, before this, The only thing I had before this even remotely resembling a mill was an old craftsman drill press. So other than high school, and I think Nixon was still in the White House when that happened, if this gives you an idea on time frame , this will be the first time I operated a mill in quite awhile

Oh and I really didn’t plan on going this big, I think I was gonna start with the grizzly G0750, then of course I saw how much better precision Matthews was so I figured a few bucks and then just get the the PM25, and And I figured why not the PM30, and pm 727, and then why not the PM833 and Then I figured I better stop before I ended up getting a bed mill and there we are at getting the 835

Last edited:
Chiroone, that's awesome. I like your style- go big or go home! It's a really nice mill, can't wait to see what you do with it.

very nice, congrats! Get a 2 ton engine hoist, move the table all the way to the column, and get a 1000lb dolly from HF. The mill will tip forward when you lift it and the hoist will struggle at that height, so you won't be able to lift it very high. You'll also have to cut away the pallet to allow the hoist far enough forward to pick it up. Get it up just high enough to move the pallet out, then swap in the dolly. Lower it onto the dolly but still keep some tension in the straps with the hoist. Then wheel it to its final resting place, lift it enough to get the dolly out and then lower it to the floor.

Another option if you're tall is to get (or make) a metal wheeled sub stand, put it on that and then use feet and jacking screws to lift the wheels off the ground once you're done.

Like:
zFTngc.jpg

Back