My PM-940 CNC Modifications

Hey Jake,
I still have my quill setup. I'll measure it for you when I get home tonight. Good to hear from you. Haven't talked to you guys for a while. Shout out to you too PZ.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Phazertwo has it drawn up I guess so he will likely give me the needed dimensions tonight. I’ll post it here for reference after I get it.
Hope all is good on your end. Any mods to the rig ?

Cheers,

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jake,
Not much going on here for now. I've switched back to my plasma table to get it working again. I left it sit too long and now it's a pain getting going again. I took a measurement for the diameter of the quill and got between 74 and 75 mm. Hope this helps. Hopefully PZ will have a closer measurement. I went to use my digital caliper and the battery is dead, so i had to take a manual. I've got to jump back into things. Good to hear from you.
Take care,
Regards,
Doug

Good to hear from you guys! These spindles really look cool, I'd be VERY interested in seeing someone get one installed. I'm getting pretty tired of this R8 spindle with TTS holders.

When I modeled the head of the 940, I measured the spindle at 75mm. So that' a little shy for this spindle, though I would imagine it could be bored out. It's a deep hole, so it might not be easy to find a shop to do it... maybe an engine shop? Or, build a new head, which could be a lot of work. In one of that guys earlier videos, he showed the un-packing and it looked like it came with a spindle clamp. Could be a really fun project.

If I were going to go about this, I think I would look at one with a BT30 taper. The ISO tapers don't have drive lugs that the BT tapers do, which I think will be important for our mills (I cut a lot of steel). It's pretty easy to find BT30 tools balanced to 20krpm, so maybe have the max RPM set to 20k so you don't blow anything up. Probably best to talk with them first and make sure that the BT30 spindle actually has the drive lugs... cause the picture doesn't look like it.

PZ

Thank you both. Hmmm, so 75mm.... thats not what I was hoping for at all. If only it was over 80mm ! Yeah, building a new head might be a fun project too. Maybe even take it all a step further and build a linear rail Z axis too that bolts to the existing "tower". The imagination runs wild :) Boring the existing hole out was my first thought too after seeing 75mm but not optimal... I wonder if there is enough material to do that and have a good clamping action. There may be smaller spindles out there too. I haven't really done any research.

I still like the idea of an all in one - motor and ATC / spindle, but it does not allow for gear ratio changes which would help for cutting things like steel, I imagine. Good advice on the spindles PZ, thank you, I am not sure exactly what you mean by "drive lugs" but I'll be sure to look into that. I assume its the square bits that interface to the spindle ? Doug, glad to hear you are getting back into the fray with the Plasma table ! Keep in touch guys. I'll let you know if I start getting back into it. That spindle sparked my interest, obviously !
Cheers,

Jake

Hey Jake,
Here's an alternative that Tormach was using for a high speed spindle using a Kress.
The only thing is that it doesn't have an ATC. But if the weight won't be a factor, you might be able to adapt the one that Fox reviews in your post above to your current setup. Funny, this is a true story. I was looking at that exact spindle he reviews to add to my plazma table. I was also looking at one from CNC Depot, the S30. It's a very sweet looking unit, but it comes at a higher cost. Too many toys to choose from!

Regards,
Doug

Back