My PM-940 CNC Modifications

Hmmmm... I did some looking at the Acorn, which looks like a decent setup, however I want a true real-time system (which it looks like you can do with LinuxCNC). Also the Acorn lacks a 5th axis, which honestly I'll probably never have/use, but I really don't want to limit myself.

I JUST now for the first time googled Masso... Looks like it cost lots o' the monies... but you don't need a PC to go with it and judging by that fact it's likely running real time. And it's 5 axis capable, and I don't have to have an additional PC... Defiantly need to do more research on it (guess I know what I'm doing with my lunch break today...)

I have very little patience for things that are finicky/unreliable and I bought the mill to be able to make parts for other projects not so much to be a project itself. If spending ~$600 on a controller gets me up and running, it will be money well spent... after all I have bulldozer parts that need makin'

PZ

I was looking into all in one purpose build systems, like the CNC4940. They look cool, but the price tag... geez!

The Acorn is their entry level controller. They have 2 other DIY cards, and they are pricier. But they will do a lot more. I'm going to start out with the Acorn and move up from there as i want more features. The nice thing is that the Centroid software is the same for all models. So there is no learning curve there. Also, i briefly talked to Matt about the Acorn and he said he liked the Centroid software as he's used it before. Says it's very robust. Guys are starting to post more about the Acorn card and a guy just posted a setup using Lead Shine yesterday. Here's the link:

He has alot of other good videos too.

Here's a good comparison between Clear Path and DMM.

I was leaning towards Clear Path until i watched this video. Sam has some other good videos. He puts a lot of good info into them. After watching this one, i'm leaning towards the DMM solution. Also, the Clear Path folks weren't very helpful when i called. I guess they don't want to waste too much time on one offs. I hope DMM is better.

Too many decisions.... But i decided that i don't want to waste my time learning Mach. I fired up my mill to make sure everything moves and runs the way i expect, but i'm going to switch to the Acorn card for now since i already purchased it. Still trying to decide the best option for a power drawbar.

The Acorn Centroid looks like a great solution. I may get one and convert over as it’s likely going to provide all that I need for $265 + $100 for the pro software. Looks great and shouldn’t be hard to convert over. Only thing that could be tricky is the wiring for the vfd ( controlling direction ) as far as I can tell. Thanks for suggesting it!
Way easier than Going the Linux cnc route.
I suppose the only possible negative is that it’s running windows that theoretically could introduce crashes and maybe timing errors. That’s hopefully not an issue.

Jake

Last edited:
Acorn does look nice... but it's lacking the real-time that I'm hoping for... and in order to give it linear encoder feedback (which I would really like to do some day) you have to upgrade to one of their higher end controllers which look like they only work with nice servo systems (as in not step and direction).

I really want 3 things in a controller:
  1. Real-time processing (Most of my current problems would be fixed in a real-time system... I think)
  2. Capability of 5 axis (probably never make it to 5 axis but I like to dream big)
  3. Capable of tracking spindle speed, AND having an encoder on each axis
And yeah, cheap would be nice too AND if they can do it in a package like the Masso that doesn't need a PC to go with it :eagerness:

I guess in reality I need to look at my bank account and remind myself that I'm a hobbyist, not a pro...

PZ

Also, after more lunch reading, I cannot find anywhere that the Acorn accepts a MPG... Am I just missing this?

Yes, currently no MPG it appears however they say TBA for a USB MPG, so maybe there is hope.
Assuming TBA means “ to be announced”

Yeah, I wonder if it will be compatible with the current board... hopefully just a firmware update and not buy a new board.

Also, looks like the software won't run on my windows 2k pro machine :rolleyes:

PZ

Back