My PM935-TS Thread

Looks like some fun and interesting work you did over the weekend Ryan. I wonder if you shouldn't have purchased the 9x49 or 10x54 mill for that heavy duty work there.:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Mike.

Hi Ryan,

On the verge of taking delivery of a 935 T-S with 3-phase & VFD setup. What has your experience been as far as to the necessity for belt changes with the VFD? Are you able to leave the machine in the high-speed belt combination and get usable speeds throughout the range with just the VFD? Or do you lose torque at very low frequencies/speeds and have to change belts or use backgear? Also my understanding is that you can get up to 5,000 RPM with this setup. Have you cranked the machine up that high?

Or should I bite the bullet and go with the 935 T-V (single phase only). Any feedback you could provide would be very helpful. Thanks!

- Glenn

Hi Ryan,

On the verge of taking delivery of a 935 T-S with 3-phase & VFD setup. What has your experience been as far as to the necessity for belt changes with the VFD? Are you able to leave the machine in the high-speed belt combination and get usable speeds throughout the range with just the VFD? Or do you lose torque at very low frequencies/speeds and have to change belts or use backgear? Also my understanding is that you can get up to 5,000 RPM with this setup. Have you cranked the machine up that high?

Or should I bite the bullet and go with the 935 T-V (single phase only). Any feedback you could provide would be very helpful. Thanks!

- Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I'm quite content with my setup as I ordered it. I can indeed adjust the speed infinitely, but I normally utilize the belt changes and the low range just fine-tuning speeds w/ the VFD. I have not experimented much with relying on the VFD like you are asking because I don't feel that belt changes are much of an issue. I know some guys hate belt changing, but for the extra cost of variable speed and single phase, no thanks. I also prefer the simplicity of the belt machine in case anything ever needs repair (and maybe simplicity means it's less likely to break?)

I also haven't tried the speed at max, but with the VFD you can crank up the Hz beyond 60 for extra speed (you'd need to check w/ Matt or Ray on whether that's okay for the motor and bearings, though.) Matt provided these parameters for the VFD (I added some other parameters of course, but these get you up and running):

F001 60.00
F002 2.00
A001 01
A002 01
B037 01
B031 10
B091 01

Bottom line is that I'd buy this machine again and I'd order it the same way.

-Ryan

Hey Ryan,

You make many good points. Based on your feedback I went with the PM935T-S with 3-Phase/VFD. Guess I'll just have to learn to change belts when necessary.
Machine should be here next week sometime at which point I'm sure I'll have more questions :)

Thanks very much for the info.

- Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I'm quite content with my setup as I ordered it. I can indeed adjust the speed infinitely, but I normally utilize the belt changes and the low range just fine-tuning speeds w/ the VFD. I have not experimented much with relying on the VFD like you are asking because I don't feel that belt changes are much of an issue. I know some guys hate belt changing, but for the extra cost of variable speed and single phase, no thanks. I also prefer the simplicity of the belt machine in case anything ever needs repair (and maybe simplicity means it's less likely to break?)

I also haven't tried the speed at max, but with the VFD you can crank up the Hz beyond 60 for extra speed (you'd need to check w/ Matt or Ray on whether that's okay for the motor and bearings, though.) Matt provided these parameters for the VFD (I added some other parameters of course, but these get you up and running):

F001 60.00
F002 2.00
A001 01
A002 01
B037 01
B031 10
B091 01

Bottom line is that I'd buy this machine again and I'd order it the same way.

-Ryan

No trouble! I guess it helped me make my decision that the belt model was in stock for immediate shipment and the variable speed wasn't, but I'm very happy with it. Belt changes really aren't hard, and my work isn't production, so...

-Ryan

No trouble! I guess it helped me make my decision that the belt model was in stock for immediate shipment and the variable speed wasn't, but I'm very happy with it. Belt changes really aren't hard, and my work isn't production, so...

-Ryan

Yeah, it depends on your use and if time is or is not as important, not that it takes a lot of time to change belt positions. We have a step pulley style at work and it isn't that bad to change belt positions. That said, most of my work is one-off or prototype work and I am all over the map as far as spindle RPM. I chose to go with the Verispeed style setup for convenience. I used one once at a guys shop and fell in love with it.

Granted it is a few dollars more and neither one was in stock when I ordered mine so my thinking was to get the one I really wanted as this is going to be my last mill purchase.

Mike.

For Mike. Approximately 3/8" and .200" depth of cut on 12L14 with a 3/4" roughing end mill (just figured I'd use it since I was removing nearly .5" of depth for this part.)

[video=youtube;_CRmElEtd6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRmElEtd6M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

-Ryan

Man...I guess I hawg too fast. Looks like I need a refresher course on patience!

I was just thinking about how slow it was going, but chips weren't blue, the machine is doing the work, and it gives me time to tend to other things. Plus I'm cheap and hate buying new cutters so I'm usually pretty cautious with them.

Back