My Power Feed Broke

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just stopped working. Suddenly I started hearing a loud tick. Stopped the machine to investigate. There is a collar that the feed rod runs through. I'm pretty sure that normally this collar (thinking it might clamp down on the rod) is stationary not rotating like it is now.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Pictures would likely help, and telling us the make & model of the machine would definitely help.

Does it have a set screw in it, or maybe a key broke or backed out of the shaft. Definitely post some pics. Mike

Guys, IDK what happened but it works. It definitely was clicking and I thought is stopped working but today it was fine. Operator error I'm sure.

Easy to tell what could of happened if the gear stops turning forever. There is a key that is part of the miter gear. The key rides in the key way all the time. They tend to wear and shear off. The fix is a new miter gear from Clausings. Other fixes are to some how attach a key via small screws from the outside. Another way is to bore a steel miter gear to accept a bushing that you make with a key built into it. Press the bushing and lock I place with Red Loctite or solder etc.
Pierre

Wild-a$$ guess: chunk of swarf in the drive gear attached to the table's leadscrew? Might cause a ticking every revolution, until it moved over enough to jam the gears. Just for grins, give those gears a good look and a good cleaning/re-lube.

It may be a clutch, many machines have such devices that allow the drive to slip when overloaded, the ball detent variety make a loud clicking when operating.

Back