My Precision Mathews PM1340GT Arrival

Mike,
Is the ID of the spindle a machined surface on yours? When I was cleaning the shipping gunk off the end of the spindle it seemed like the ID was a rough surface. The hole in my cover is also off centered by quite a bit.
Dan

Dan, the inside of the spindle appears to be a machined surface. It measures 1.595". Just slightly over the 1-9/16" advertised spindle bore.

Mike.

I have been striking out on trying to find a lathe locally for about a year, this thread has me considering the 1340.

I have been striking out on trying to find a lathe locally for about a year, this thread has me considering the 1340.

I was in the same situation. I looked locally for some old American iron for nearly a year before I realized I wasn't going to find what I was looking for and even if I did it would end up being a long term project reconditioning it, which I didn't want. That is when I started researching new Taiwanese machines and stumbled across this forum as well as Matt from Quality Machine Tools.

I could not find much out there on either of the machines that I ended up purchasing which was the biggest reason for me starting a thread on each as well as my youtube videos on the machines, to hopefully help people who are considering either the PM1340GT lathe or the PM935TV mill give them a bit of feel for them before laying down that kind of money. I hope it has been helpful to you.

I highly recommned the PM1340GT, but I may be a bit biased.:adore:

Mike.

Agree...

If the PM 1340GT fits your needs and price range...

It is, IMO, an excellent choice!

Mike
Your review along with others on here greatly helped in making my purchase (1340GT & PM935TV)

I was in the same situation. I looked locally for some old American iron for nearly a year before I realized I wasn't going to find what I was looking for and even if I did it would end up being a long term project reconditioning it, which I didn't want. That is when I started researching new Taiwanese machines and stumbled across this forum as well as Matt from Quality Machine Tools.

I could not find much out there on either of the machines that I ended up purchasing which was the biggest reason for me starting a thread on each as well as my youtube videos on the machines, to hopefully help people who are considering either the PM1340GT lathe or the PM935TV mill give them a bit of feel for them before laying down that kind of money. I hope it has been helpful to you.

I highly recommned the PM1340GT, but I may be a bit biased.:adore:

Mike.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I just drilled and tapped four holes (off hand with a drill) right in my spindle on my brand new PM-1340GT. It came out great!! I'm planning to modify the cover or make a new one so the spindle is exposed with the gears and belt covered (like the Grizzly G0509). In the mean time, I'll have to run it without the cover when I need to use the outboard spider.

Spider2.jpg

Spider3.jpg

Spider1.jpg

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I just drilled and tapped four holes (off hand with a drill) right in my spindle on my brand new PM-1340GT. It came out great!! I'm planning to modify the cover or make a new one so the spindle is exposed with the gears and belt covered (like the Grizzly G0509). In the mean time, I'll have to run it without the cover when I need to use the outboard spider.
Please let us know the distance from the spider to the far side of your 4 jaw chuck. Looks like it saved length if you need something shorter. I think it wouldn't be too hard to make an auxiliary cover to protect the area modified in the original cover to allow for the fit.
Dave

Maybe consider something like these with the brass tip - then you wouldn't need to do anything to the cover for the most part... maybe enlarge the spindle hole some for clearance. Only take a few seconds to take the cover off- set everything up, and then another few seconds to reinstall the cover..

http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=10n48fs

Last edited:
Dave, first pic is showing where I measured from (hooked on outside of chuck jaw):

Spindle length1.jpg

This pic is showing you how the measurement comes out on the other end:

Spindle length2.jpg

Bottom line is, I can chamber a 20" match barrel blank through the headstock, while even still leaving 2" sticking out the 4 jaw. That's a VERY good thing.

Good look at the finished spider, and my Marathon E467 motor:

New spider.jpg

Airwolf, thanks for the advice, but the link just went to the home page.

By the way, Mike, thanks for letting me post in your thread! I'll start a new one if you think it's getting too busy in here. Also, I have planned to give you guys an update on my progress, but it's just been too busy! I'm going to post a youtube video someday too if I ever get the time.
Thanks again, Mike, Mark, et al. I wouldn't have made it this far without you guys.

RIO / Lafe

Last edited:
Back