[4]

My Rockwell 14 X 40 Lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
I recently purchased a Rockwell 14" lathe, which is in very nice decent shape. I don't know how Buba missed this lathe, but I'm glad he did! The lathe is equipped with a taper attachment that does not look as if it has ever been used.
But there is one issue that bothers me, the gear on the headstock spindle that shifts it from back gear to direct drive has been removed. Appears they replace it with a spacer, making the back gear totally useless. I have the gear sitting on my desk. It was down in the storage cabinet with all of the other junk that was thrown in there. I haven't had a chance to open the headstock to see what all is going on at the moment, but once I get it inside, will do so.
The question I have to others out there that have a 14" lathe, is there a chance of getting the OD dimension of the nut that goes on the end of the spindle, as well as the length of the nut? Mine is missing off of the spindle, and I will need to make another one to replace the missing one.

Ken

kd4gij

Active User
I don't have any info on your lathe. But We need pictures. With out pictures it never happened. And we need to get the { This Thread Is Worthless With Out Pictures } smiley back.

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
If I had the nut available I would not need to post a thread here.

No, I'm not posting any pictures! Anyone who own's a 14" Rockwell lathe already knows what I'm asking for. If not, they can send a PM to me and I'll be glad to post a copy of the parts manual showing the take up nut I'm asking about.

kd4gij

Active User
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all. Just when a member post they got a new to them tool, some of us like to see pictures The phrases that I post are meant to be fun humor and not to offend anyone.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all. Just when a member post they got a new to them tool, some of us like to see pictures The phrases that I post are meant to be fun humor and not to offend anyone.
+1 -- I have to agree with KD,

It is normal around H-M to post picts. It helps to keep the flow and sharing of information going, and that makes this a great place to hang.
As for the comment "Anyone who own's a 14" Rockwell lathe already knows what I'm asking for..."
I'll have to point out that if a new user who happened to score a Rockwell were to join here in the future and need the same info,
and see this post, he/she would walk away shaking their head at that type of attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
One cannot photograph that which one does not have. Drawings of small parts from illustrated parts lists may or may not help.

Last edited:

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Besides which, it should be obvious to anyone that if someone needs a part that they don't have, they probably have no way in which to produce a photograph of the missing part. I have no idea what the missing nut looks like, but a photograph of the left end of the spindle showing the I assume bare threads wouldn't do a thing to change that.
No, but a picture would help someone unfamiliar with a 'Rockwell 14 X 40 Lathe' to identify what a person would need to look for.
I would hazard a guess that there a numerous styles of those around.
I know a scrapper/collector in this area and he's got a couple of tired old Rockwell's sitting in one of his out-buildings.
I've tried to talk him into parting out his stuff but he doesn't want to go near a computer, or even list them in the want ads, and
I should never have mentioned CL, I think he saw that one movie and has a rather negative view of CL.
I thought to myself when I read Ken's post that I might run over there next week and see what might be left on them and available.

Don't assume that what you may consider obvious is obvious to others.

British Steel

Active User
I have to agree with Dan and KD, even a pic of where it *should* go could spark someone's memory, or they may have one of its clones under another name and be able to help. I've seen quite a few different lathes in my time and might even have worked on one without remembering what it was called - I find the mechanics a lot easier than the names, mechanics follows rules...

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
Guys, in due time, I promise to post some pictures.
Right now, it's on a trailer, waiting to be unloaded as soon as the 20" Lodge & Shipley is removed by it's new owner and gone.
Yes, I have done all of the up front stuff like finding parts manuals and anything else that exists out there. Including spare parts. The Rockwell group on Yahoo has lots of good information available. That is where I found most of the stuff as well as on the Vintage Machinery's website, too.
And kd4gij, my apology for the comment left, sorry.

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
4GSR - did you ever get the nut info you wanted? I can get it off my machine. JJTGrinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
4GSR - did you ever get the nut info you wanted? I can get it off my machine. JJTGrinder

No, I did not. I still like to get the information so when I get to that point, make the nut.

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
Would it be the "pully retainer nut" , number 12 on the parts list?
I will post a photo tomorrow of the parts list page that way you can specify which part.

Last edited:

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
Would it be the "pully retainer nut" , number 12 on the parts list?
I will post a photo tomorrow of the parts list page that way you can specify which part.
Yep, that's it. I have the parts list that I copied from the Rockwell Metalworking Lathe group. But feel free to post if you like for others to see.
Thanks,
Ken

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
Yep, that's it. I have the parts list that I copied from the Rockwell Metalworking Lathe group. But feel free to post if you like for others to see.
Thanks,
Ken
i uploaded a diagram "20151031".
For the serial numbers 133-4208 and higher the nut is a (1 3/4-16) , for the serial numbers lower than 133-4208 the nut is a ( 1 7/8 - 16).
---------------------------------------------------- part ref no 86 -/\ ---------------------------------------------------------------part ref no 800 - /\.
Let me know what your serial number is. And how to proceed.
My serial number is 137-6706. So my nut is probably a 1.75-16.

JJTGrinder

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
Not too worried about the thread, but its nice to know ahead of time. S/N of mine is 1515517, according to the stuff in the Rockwell Lathe group over on Yahoo, it was born in 1970.
Ken

Edit: Thanks for the download. That's a little bit different from that that I have on hand. The headstock configuration I have matches to that in the second page (42). It's item 86 that I need dimensional information on. Just need the OD and the length or thickness of the nut. I can figure out the thread bore.

Last edited:

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
Not too worried about the thread, but its nice to know ahead of time. S/N of mine is 1515517, according to the stuff in the Rockwell Lathe group over on Yahoo, it was born in 1970.
Ken

Edit: Thanks for the download. That's a little bit different from that that I have on hand. The headstock configuration I have matches to that in the second page (42). It's item 86 that I need dimensional information on. Just need the OD and the length or thickness of the nut. I can figure out the thread bore.
Get it for you this week.
JJTGRINDER

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
My daughter (and husband, grandkids) came over this weekend. That always changes my shop time. Did not get the info for you, I am going to get it tonight if possible.
no reply expected, John

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
Here is the info you need.
461b3befbb45364f7f33b1894ba5d245.jpg d0fda535442332f0e2edf1057e50e514.jpg 3ac3b63043234f7f22f3c99589548503.jpg 4d3297fc2af070291ed673befe593c3a.jpg 32dfcd952daadbe45dfcb9ba2e3e10a1.jpg ce3777bf8d317ef75df0d7d095b63899.jpg dbc5039da6903846c0020b2e30621faa.jpg 2b77067abe0b2a5fd4785ab8a615c06d.jpg

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
if you need any other clarification, let me know. There was only one set screw , on the opposing side was a hole for a spanner wrench to loosen the part. Oh shoot, just realized I did not give the diameter of the boss. Get that tomorrow, it was about one quarter inch wide.

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
The boss is about 2.125 inches in diameter and from the pic about .130 high.

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
b79eaadecffd85217bd5113e7912e8b1.jpg

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
The overall width of the part is about .927 inch , I did not clean so actual is prob .925".

T Bredehoft

Active User
That's a good way to transmit information. Kudos!

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
John,

THANK YOU KINDLY!!!

That is what I need. I didn't expect you to pull it off your lathe, but I greatly appreciate it.:):dancing banana:

Ken

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
No problem, glad to help, let me know if something else comes up.

John

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
Will do.

One thing that does come to mind is the clutch brake used on this lathe. The Conway Clutch company that used to make these is not in business anymore.
Does anyone know of a replacement clutch brake or parts for a existing one are available from another company?

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
I don't have a brake , don't know.

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
I don't have a brake , don't know.........
The lever that you engage the clutch with, when pushed the other direction past neutral should engage the brake and stop the spindle quickly. Might need adjust the brake side of the clutch to get it to work.

[6]
[5] [7]