My shop addition and make over

Logan 400

Registered
Registered
I got my little lathe about a year ago and my shop was already crowded so I have decided to add some space. The 12 x 14 lean to on the back of my shop seemed a good place to start. First task was repair the undermining of the slab so it would support the structure.
KIMG1631.jpgKIMG1632.jpg
I got the walls framed up and moved my blast cabinet, a wood storage cabinet, some shelves and my newly acquired NAPA cabinet and an upright freezer to this space to give me some room to move things around in the main shop. This all started in May. While framing the walls I needed to move the bottom of a wall a little bit while holding the top in place. I kicked the wall to move it but it didn't move. Three weeks later my foot was getting worse so I went to get it looked at. Seems I tore the plantar fascia which will heal eventually. 6 weeks to 3 months. I wear an air cast while walking jobsites at work and while working in the shop. I have been sorting tools and hardware every chance I get. Here is my progress so far.
East wall Before
KIMG1669.jpg
Insulated
KIMG1673.jpg
Same wall After
KIMG1678.jpg
My goal is to complete the make over before Thanksgiving. All the tools are sorted and 90% of the hardware and misc. are sorted. I drew this layout up about 10 different ways before I started and I am still making changes as I go.

My shop has undergone a few "makeovers". It is getting harder and harder to learn the "new" location for that thing that has been "Right There" for so long. It is interesting to watch "force of habit", or "brain engaged elsewhere" in action. A bit scary, too, I must say:confused 3:

Nice addition to your shop, I'm sure the new space has been well thought out. It's kind of nice to take your time and wind up with the best possible use of the additional footage. Usually after a big makeover like that, it takes a while to get used to where you put everything.
Enjoy your new space, well done.

Getting used to where I put everything boils down to which drawer. I have been buying various cabinets for storage. Now all is sorted by type of material and frequency of use and placed in a cabinet or on a high or a low shelf. Tools are in drawers based on type and location of use. I have layed out the shop so I have an area for woodworking, an area for metal working and an area for painting. Then I will have an open area for working on mechanical or welding projects. The hard part now is moving everything to insulate the walls and install OSB board. There is a 3 ft space across the back of the shop that is currently being used for furniture storage. My wife says she wants to get rid of the furniture, if that happens it will give me a total gain of about 210 sq ft. I'm a happy man.
Jay

I label my drawers so I can find what I’m looking for.
I have one of those "Brother" label makers attached to the computer in the shop. It only takes a minute or two to make a new label. Over time I memorize where the most common things are but after a several years I still use the labels for things or categories I don't go to often.

I have a label maker and some drawers are labeled and I will label the rest in the near future. I'm picking up the last cabinet today.

Lesson learned and a reminder every time my right foot hits the ground. lol

That label maker is a good idea. I reorganized my upper and lower tool chests last December before I left for Arizona for the winter. They hadn’t been changed around for twenty years. Now After getting back from Arizona in April, I can’t find anything. I may learn my reorganization eventually but I may have to label the drawers for a shorter learning curve.
I like how I rearranged things, it’s much neater but will take a while to learn for an old dog.

Back