my shop made Fly Cutter

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My plans changed from where I began for a fly cutter. This one is pretty simple. I used the largest 4140 round bar I had, which was just over 2". I turned a shaft down to 3/4" to use in an ER32 Collet, and then cleaned up the outside. After turning, I mounted it in the mill and cut a slot for an SCLCL boring bar. I milled a flat on the back and tapped two 1/4"-28tpi holes for mounting screws. I took the boring bar and milled a recess into the back for the screws to bottom into, thinking that if they work loose as it turns the bar won't fly out. I should be able to cut about 6" width if needed. It's pretty heavy which I hope won't be a problem, and might even make it smoother cutting.

.20190721_175451.jpg

20190803_142000.jpg

20190803_141940.jpg

20190803_142139.jpg

20190803_142453.jpg

The obvious question ... how does it work? :)

The obvious question ... how does it work? :)

I will let you know. I got it finished just in time to head out for some family time. I'm going to have to do a little reading on speeds for such a critter too.

I have one I made like that but it uses a tool holder that uses the sides of an CNMG inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of those insert holders also. I was concerned the cutting tip might not extend low enough so I chose this one. How well do you like the one you made?

i'll be interested to see how it works too! keep us posted!
nice work :)

Cut your slot on an angle, it will solve clearance problems!

Cut your slot on an angle, it will solve clearance problems!

Yeah, I thought of that, but with what I had planned I cut the slot flat/straight. The bar I have has built in clearance that way.

Back