My Site

This site is probably the best one out there for our hobby.
I've never been ridiculed here and everyone treats everyone else as they would like to be treated.
All my questions have always been answered with correct information and usually pretty rapidly as well.
I have learnt so much here and on top of that made some awesome friends.
I thank you Nels from the bottom of my heart for setting this awesome forum up.
:thanks::hugethumbzup:

I used to be a little active on that site "not to be named" and was ridiculed for misspelling a word and not knowing what trepanning is. I thought you have to be kidding. They seem to be a bunch of prima donnas. They should be pleased that there are non machinist and tool makers that are interested in their trade and be happy and willing to give us advice. Oh well.

Paul

X2 what everyone else has said

I visit here several times a day, now if I could only remember what I read

Thanks to all that contribute

Happy Holidays
ed

This is by far the nicest forum I've seen in regards to any topic. Everyone here is polite and helpful and I'm not told that my tools aren't good enough (like that other place). Thank you Nelson, you have created a great place to learn and make good friends. I hope (and plan) to learn alot here so I can be as helpful as other members on here.

Thanks, Nels. I'm a newby hobby machinist. Of the bench lathe variety. And apparently a lucky one. I stumbled onto this forum by blind luck and a little help from google about a year and a half ago, before I even ordered my lathe. I visited a couple of other sites and found them to be far less accepting of newbies, to put it mildly, especially those of us with foreign made machines. (I'd be interested to know how many of them drive Toyotas, but that's another story.) Long story longer, I joined here and immediately felt welcome by other newbies and old hands alike (domestic and foreign), including yourself. (Don't take the "old" part of "old hand" literally. Me, I'm an old fart... literally. :)) ). Anyhow, I'm here to stay. Thanks again for putting this place together and holding it together.

Tom

Thanks to Nels and everyone else for the nice site! The group and personalities are what make the difference.

i registered on another site and started browsing threads and within 10 minutes got a bad feeling, kept searching for other web sites and ended up here.

jim

Mark,

Feel free to post the url if you want so we can visit you.

I never posted my site here because I feel it would be a conflict and maybe even a rule violation. My site is a yahoo group much like the forums I was run off from and I started it before I came here. I don't consider it a forum , but a place to meet, share info, and discuss. Once I came to this site, I had "chuckorlando" go over to mine and move anything he thought worthy of being here over to this site. I still post my stuff on my own site, but usually post it here first. I keep everything I do "stored" on my site so I have a record of my own.

Mark Frazier

I am fairly new here as well, been a member for a little over two years. I visit this sight at least twice a day if I am at home. What I have learned from the folks here is very valuable to me. Never have I worried about posting here even though I knew some of my posts were pretty amateur in comparison.

A super good place to solve problems as well.

Keep up the good work,
Sandia

I am brand new here but not to machining. As a toolmaker for over 40yrs, one thing I learned a long time ago. If someone wants to learn something from you then teach them. If someone thinks they know everything then you will never be able to teach them. And I don't care how long anyone has been machining there is always something to learn. I am still learning.
This sight has given me some ideas that I would never have thought of before. And if I can help someone at all I will.

I am new to machining, but not to making parts. I had need of a decent benchtop lathe to make automotive parts (small stuff like bushings and spacers).

So I don't need to break the bank, I just need something "good enough".

Somewhere along the line, I apparantly had to audacity to post a question on another site about an atlas lathe.

Lordy, the responses! Downright abusive. You'd think I had just asked how to assassinate the Queen!

I mean come on: I don't need a 3000 lb monster and .00001 accuracy to turn out an axle spacer for a motorcycle, nor is it worth that kind of expense or effort. I thought I was stepping up a bit in considering the 10X36 Atlas over the usual 7" Asian imports. But apparently, I was threatening to bring the most ancient and sacred organization of machinists into a complete and utter state of disarray by not encasing my new "toy" in concrete and tossing it into the nearest cold watery abyss!

Google turned up this site. Much better atmosphere and now I'm even thinking about more tooling to try my hand at making other things.

Yup, that "elitist" site pretty much shut me down on wanting to try anything ever again but this site has fanned a small ember and might make it a flame.

I went through the same thing with HAM radio. Seems the "old farts" are more interested in keeping the club doors closed for themselves than bringing in new blood. Funny thing is: that is a sure way to kill something for everyone, including themselves.....cutting thier own throat as it were. So I ended up playing in CB. It's a lot "looser" and things often happen that you have to turn a deaf ear to, but it's far more enjoyable overall and no where near as "uptight" about small things or when someone doesn't know everything already.

:dunno:

Last edited:
Back