My slow speed diamond disc lapping machine, the beginning

@Janderso, I'm hooked on this idea. Very eager to see how this works out for you.
It's getting to be lots of fun at this point.
I want to be able to slide the table up and back as needed. Maybe 3/8" or so.
I'm thinking of using stout sheet metal. Basically, the table and supports are a contained unit.
The trick is attaching the aluminum to the 1" square tubing I'm using for the side supports.
The sheet metal I'm going to use is 3/16". Pretty stout.
If you guys have some ideas on attaching the aluminum plates to the 1" risers that would be great.
I choke when it comes to creativity.
I was thinking of drilling and tapping 1/4 -20 in the aluminum sides, drilling clearance holes in the 1" tubing. How in the heck am I going to tighten the nuts? =slowly.
The 3/16" plate will be under the 1" tube. I'll weld it.

Attachments

• table 1.jpg
    table 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 59
  • table.jpg
    table.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 59
I think I got it.
Simple really. Drill and tap the aluminum as discussed.
Drill through the 1” tubing to access allen cap head screws that will fasten the tubes to the side supports.

I think I got it.
Simple really. Drill and tap the aluminum as discussed.
Drill through the 1” tubing to access allen cap head screws that will fasten the tubes to the side supports.
Yup, that's what I was writing :)

I'll be interested in how you like this for honing HSS tools. Especially with how easy it is to swap grits. I don't mind rough grinding on a grinder but honing a fine edge on them is not my forte. Of course being able to touch up carbide is a nice benefit too!

I'll be interested in how you like this for honing HSS tools. Especially with how easy it is to swap grits. I don't mind rough grinding on a grinder but honing a fine edge on them is not my forte. Of course being able to touch up carbide is a nice benefit too!
I think 2,000 grit would put a mirror finish on hss.
You mentioned, easy to swap grits/discs.
In my mind I have two levers that are timed to easily loosen the table, pull it back, swap the discs and Bob’s your Uncle.
We’ll see if I can pull it off.

Attachments

• E2E304A3-198F-407B-AE4B-241D4DB6AA85.jpeg
    E2E304A3-198F-407B-AE4B-241D4DB6AA85.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 59
  • F0EE923A-36BE-41B9-9D43-379CF3022568.jpeg
    F0EE923A-36BE-41B9-9D43-379CF3022568.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • AFE763B1-312B-4AD6-B7F8-4A87AB2FF7AD.jpeg
    AFE763B1-312B-4AD6-B7F8-4A87AB2FF7AD.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 60
  • EEBC25BA-73DE-43C2-9242-020692B99DA3.jpeg
    EEBC25BA-73DE-43C2-9242-020692B99DA3.jpeg
    655.4 KB · Views: 58
I’m still pondering what to do with the inside bolt head. It needs to be self locking.
I should have milled a slot while I had it set up in the rotary table.
The thing about being a dumb ass............:)
I may put pin locks in the side plates for pre measured angles in the vertical plane.

You should Improve it and make it easy to manufacture and has a local shop make them, then sell them because accu-finish stopped making the their carbide hones I think there will be a big market if they cam be under 300 bucks lots of people will buy them, just some thoughts

You should Improve it and make it easy to manufacture and has a local shop make them, then sell them because accu-finish stopped making the their carbide hones I think there will be a big market if they cam be under 300 bucks lots of people will buy them, just some thoughts
Well let's see, the shop would have to work much faster. At the current pace, I should be lapping/honing by Christmas.
With Accufinish haulting production of the Glendo, surely there has to be a market.
Those things were just cost prohibitive. Kind of like a Biax.
<$300 would involve China or India.

Are the square tubes running the full length there as stiffeners? I envision doing something like a couple of male dovetail tracks on the top of them, with aluminum uprights slit and clamped, so they could be slid on and off the dovetails.

Are the square tubes running the full length there as stiffeners? I envision doing something like a couple of male dovetail tracks on the top of them, with aluminum uprights slit and clamped, so they could be slid on and off the dovetails.
The aluminum base plate is going to be cut down to size and the 1" tubing has been reduced to 7".
I'm going to add a box (I think) around the motor that will have the reverse switch and on-off.
I have a basic idea in my head. The production environment is a hunt and peck method, based on my limited free time.

Back