My slow speed diamond disc lapping machine, the beginning

Something is broken.
Gas, food, housing, taxes,…….

Tell me about your motor.
I'm not really given to conspiracy thinking, but the one thing whose price has remained pretty level is liquor. I admit, that makes me suspicious.

As to the motor, there isn't much to tell at this point. It's a standard induction motor of some unknown horsepower that may or may not be wired for 110V operation, with about a 5/8" shaft. The data plate is all scuffed off, and it has a bunch of wires hanging off of it, and a giant capacitor that is attached to one, but not two wires. The first puzzle is figuring out which other wire attaches to the capacitor.

A buddy of mine just showed up at random and handed it to me yesterday.

1660599873630.png

One important tip: recess your magnets into you backing plate.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I'm not really given to conspiracy thinking, but the one thing whose price has remained pretty level is liquor. I admit, that makes me suspicious.

As to the motor, there isn't much to tell at this point. It's a standard induction motor of some unknown horsepower that may or may not be wired for 110V operation, with about a 5/8" shaft. The data plate is all scuffed off, and it has a bunch of wires hanging off of it, and a giant capacitor that is attached to one, but not two wires. The first puzzle is figuring out which other wire attaches to the capacitor.

A buddy of mine just showed up at random and handed it to me yesterday.

View attachment 417333
I don't see the RPM.
If it's 1,750, you put a 2" pully on the motor and a 4" pulley on your spindle you can slow it down to 875 RPM.
That's still pretty fast.

I paid $170 for this motor on ebay,
Bison 014-242-9019 gearmotor 90 rpm, 1/6 hp 115v ac.
Sold by -Nri-Industrial

Maybe they have more?
It's a great motor for this application imho.
Some may say it's too big, too expensive, too heavy.
It works great though.

I paid $170 for this motor on ebay,
That motor goes for $775 new. Wowww. You got it so cheap yours must have a ton of hours on it, or someone hijacked a truck, or got caught cheating on a vindictive spouse. :p

All the more reason why I should try to do something with my dumpster find. Even if I have to do multiple pulleys, like a drill press.

That motor goes for $775 new. Wowww. You got it so cheap yours must have a ton of hours on it, or someone hijacked a truck, or got caught cheating on a vindictive spouse. :p

All the more reason why I should try to do something with my dumpster find. Even if I have to do multiple pulleys, like a drill press.
I don’t know why it was so cheap. It was new.
$775??? Holy schnikies

I don’t know why it was so cheap. It was new.
$775??? Holy schnikies
Yeah, that's what I said. Galco has it for $748. Zoro for $775. BDI for $740. I've never dealt with any of these suppliers, but $700+ seems like a reasonable price for a Bison 014-242-9019.

On the other hand, it was probably $350 two years ago, and somebody sold it for half of that price. That actually does seem plausible.

You got an extremely good deal on that motor!

Yeah, that's what I said. Galco has it for $748. Zoro for $775. BDI for $740. I've never dealt with any of these suppliers, but $700+ seems like a reasonable price for a Bison 014-242-9019.

On the other hand, it was probably $350 two years ago, and somebody sold it for half of that price. That actually does seem plausible.

You got an extremely good deal on that motor!
I wasn’t aware of this until now.
That’s a lot of money man.

Hey Jeff,

Back in post #69 on page 7, @OCJohn asked the same thing I was wondering:
Jeff, I'm not seeing registration holes on your disc like Stefan Gotteswinter uses. Do you find your magnets are enough to keep the disc from spinning on the platen? (Are you using double sided discs? I assume that would help as well...) I hope that's the case. Seems like a PITA to have to drill the discs before they can be used...

Thanks,
Brian

Back