My son asked to borrow a tool

Those are nice wrenches. That also sounds like a fine young man. Those don't just happen. You are a good father.
My son asked to borrow a micrometer. The ones in his lab at school were second rate. I gave him my best Mitutoyo. I got it back 4 years later when he got his PhD in geology.
No accomplishment compares to a son who is a better man than his father. Well done, Dad.

My sons are younger and tend to make a mess using my hobby room. I once read that the worst thing about your son using your hobby room is also the best thing. Tools laying around, epoxy or paint on the floor, lights left on, all good things in the long run.

Crescent wrenches, Leathermans and Channel-Locks, banned tools on about 40% of the job sites we work on. Its use the correct wrench/tool or go home.

Last edited:
I worked part time with EH&S monitoring for proper tools, and hokey attempts to get things done, just to prevent injuries. Incident reports, RCIs, and lock out, tag out, confined space, burn permits. Some companies get strict....

Crescent wrenches, Leathermans and Channel-Locks, banned tools on about 40% of the job sites we work on. It use the correct wrench/tool or go home.

Agree if you can afford to carry 100's of tools to your worksite. Auto mechanics have it easy, they can keep several tons of tools at their worksite, a plumber (me), or an electrician might need the bare minimum in a crawl space or attic. I have many years of big construction experience, gang boxes are a luxury, at least your excessive tools are within a few minutes walk. Not practical at all to carry every size wrench, socket, etc at times.

Agree if you can afford to carry 100's of tools to your worksite. Auto mechanics have it easy, they can keep several tons of tools at their worksite, a plumber (me), or an electrician might need the bare minimum in a crawl space or attic. I have many years of big construction experience, gang boxes are a luxury, at least your excessive tools are within a few minutes walk. Not practical at all to carry every size wrench, socket, etc at times.

I agree, but when your a contractor for the nuclear power, computer chip, aerospace and pharmaceutical industries, they don’t care if its convenient for you or anyone else, it their way or else. I saw a whole electricial contracting crew kicked off a site, because one of the electricians, used a jackknife to strip a wire, in direct violation of the written procedures.

There's the difference. A real construction job.

Adjustable wrenches have their place and I use mine frequently. You are right to give away your least favorite, it will probably work fine for your son and if not just give him your latest Harbor Freight advertisement. He will soon learn that one of the best ways to be frugal is owning and using your own tools to fix things rather than replace them.

BTW, my favorite adjustable is "Squirrel Brand" it really holds your nuts good :grin big:

DSCN1414.JPG

Those are nice wrenches. That also sounds like a fine young man. Those don't just happen. You are a good father.
My son asked to borrow a micrometer. The ones in his lab at school were second rate. I gave him my best Mitutoyo. I got it back 4 years later when he got his PhD in geology.
No accomplishment compares to a son who is a better man than his father. Well done, Dad.

Or a daughter, mine starts at Illumina (they make gene sequencing machines) on Monday as a bio-medical engineer. I couldn't be prouder....

AjaWork.jpeg

Back