[4]

My take on a Tanginal tool holder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Moper361

Registered
Thought I would have a go at putting my take on a Tanginal lathe tool holder .In testing I must say I as more than surprised of how well they work and I'll be building a left hand soon and another set got my father .

Attachments

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
NICE ! I am sold on TT holders too.
Just curious whether the set screw holding the bit goes into a notch or just bites into the tool?

Moper361

Registered
NICE ! I am sold on TT holders too.
Just curious whether the set screw holding the bit goes into a notch or just bites into the tool?
It's has two set screws that just bite onto tool steel it does not budge I did some serious cuts with it today 3.5 mm diameter cut on steel it did not budge after several cuts like this ,the tool holder also has the option to screw a grub screw up behind the tool to stop it sliding down as I threaded a small bit on the underside were the hss slides in ,this can also be used to assist tool height adjustment if using the tool on a 4 way tool post.

benmychree

John York
This type of tool holder goes way back in history, but did use some means of positive locking of the tool bit, I think, for one, the OK tool Company made such a device, it would be TANGENTAL, NOT tanginal.

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
This type of tool holder goes way back in history, but did use some means of positive locking of the tool bit, I think, for one, the OK tool Company made such a device, it would be TANGENTAL, NOT tanginal.
Actually, it's tangential, but who's counting? ;)

Tom

benmychree

John York

benmychree

John York
Count me as a counter, I stand (also) corrected!
tangential Very strange, I typed in my misspelling and it self corrected to your (proper) spelling, wonder why is did not do so in my original response? But then, who is counting?

Tozguy

Active User
I think tangentine sounds better.

benmychree

John York
It does indeed roll off the tongue nicely --- is that the Gallic spelling?

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member

Somewhere I found a small booklet called "Lathe Notes" which is a re-print of old articles from Machinery Magazine. In it is article from
August 1915 where a large number of turning tools in various styles are described. Included are about 4 pages on what they call
Fixed-front-rake Holders, which amount to tangential tool holders. They were apparently popular in England at the time but they
describe some American companies that made them including OK Tool. Instead of using standard tool steel blanks, they forged cutters
in different shapes for different purposes and then mounted them in the tool holder, creating what amounts to something like an insert
system. There seems to have been quite a bit of experimenting back then with different types of toolholders.

IMG_0267.jpg

Moper361

Registered
Actually, it's tangential, but who's counting? ;)

Tom
Sorry for the misspelling it seems to be a lost art these days . Spelling Unfortunatly is not my strong point ,I hated school and much prefered being in the workshop tinkering ,

mikey

Active User
Don't worry about it. Everyone knew what you meant. Glad its working out for you!

john.k

Registered
Ive seen the sets of OK ones....seems they were so pretty,they were never used for fear of soiling the lovely polished surfaces,all in a fitted wooden case.

Moper361

Registered
I'd like to see a picture of the OK ones. These are the ones I use, as you moper, I am pleased by how well TT holders work.
https://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=297
I'd like to see a picture of the OK ones. These are the ones I use, as you moper, I am pleased by how well TT holders work.
https://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=297
Found this pic
The one I made in the pictures previously was a bit of trial to see how they perform ,I have started on one more right hand and two left hand ,I will pass one st onto father and keep a left and right as I can see from just the short amount I've used this one it will be the most used tool out of most of my lathe tools .I did look into annd nearly purchased the eccentric ones but thought nah I can make one myself as I have the means and use the money on something else ,Definatly if I was starting out again and had limited stuff I definatly would purchase the eccentric ones for sure as in the long run I'd only have half the tool holders I have now

Attachments

higgite

Sorry for the misspelling it seems to be a lost art these days . Spelling Unfortunatly is not my strong point ,I hated school and much prefered being in the workshop tinkering ,
Nothing to be sorry for, Moper. My response wasn't aimed at correcting you're spelling, it was aimed at correcting the incorrect correction that preceded it. ;) Besides, like Mike said, we all knew what you meant anyway. Otherwise, no one would have known what to correct in the first place. Don't sweat the small stuff. Thanks for posting your tool holders. Good job!

Back on topic, I have the same brand of TT holders that Tozguy has, (It's hard to misspell TT. :grin: Thanks, Toz.) and they do a great job. I should be using them more often. I drifted away from them when I went on a fruitless search for an insert with a reliable aluminum chip breaker. But, that's a topic for another day and another thread.

Tom

mikey

Active User
My response wasn't aimed at correcting you're spelling, it was aimed at correcting the incorrect correction that preceded it. ;)
That is one heck of a concise sentence, Tom!

higgite

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Don't get me started on spelling and grammar on a machinist forum, there are not enough hours in a day... :eek 2: I will just keep chuckling at funny mistakes and guessing at meanings. The result of a strict Catholic school upbringing, not my choice. I often start to lose track of the fact that communication is the real goal.

Then there is punctuation. The phrase "eats shoots and leaves" can have quite different meanings depending on if or where you put the comma(s).

Moper361

Registered
Nothing to be sorry for, Moper. My response wasn't aimed at correcting you're spelling, it was aimed at correcting the incorrect correction that preceded it. ;) Besides, like Mike said, we all knew what you meant anyway. Otherwise, no one would have known what to correct in the first place. Don't sweat the small stuff. Thanks for posting your tool holders. Good job!

Back on topic, I have the same brand of TT holders that Tozguy has, (It's hard to misspell TT. :grin: Thanks, Toz.) and they do a great job. I should be using them more often. I drifted away from them when I went on a fruitless search for an insert with a reliable aluminum chip breaker. But, that's a topic for another day and another thread.

Tom
Haha Its water of a ducks back really Tom ,we shall just use the term TT much easier lol.I was on another forum looking at what we will call now TT holders And there was just the same discussion there on the spelling of the same tool with various different attempts at spelling it haha

mikey

Active User

mikey

Active User
Hey, it was one of my weaker moments.

[6]
[5] [7]