My take on a Tanginal tool holder

Moper361

Registered
Registered
Thought I would have a go at putting my take on a Tanginal lathe tool holder .In testing I must say I as more than surprised of how well they work and I'll be building a left hand soon and another set got my father .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

NICE ! I am sold on TT holders too.
Just curious whether the set screw holding the bit goes into a notch or just bites into the tool?

NICE ! I am sold on TT holders too.
Just curious whether the set screw holding the bit goes into a notch or just bites into the tool?
It's has two set screws that just bite onto tool steel it does not budge I did some serious cuts with it today 3.5 mm diameter cut on steel it did not budge after several cuts like this ,the tool holder also has the option to screw a grub screw up behind the tool to stop it sliding down as I threaded a small bit on the underside were the hss slides in ,this can also be used to assist tool height adjustment if using the tool on a 4 way tool post.

This type of tool holder goes way back in history, but did use some means of positive locking of the tool bit, I think, for one, the OK tool Company made such a device, it would be TANGENTAL, NOT tanginal.

This type of tool holder goes way back in history, but did use some means of positive locking of the tool bit, I think, for one, the OK tool Company made such a device, it would be TANGENTAL, NOT tanginal.
Actually, it's tangential, but who's counting? ;)

Tom

Count me as a counter, I stand (also) corrected!
tangential Very strange, I typed in my misspelling and it self corrected to your (proper) spelling, wonder why is did not do so in my original response? But then, who is counting?

I think tangentine sounds better.

It does indeed roll off the tongue nicely --- is that the Gallic spelling?

Somewhere I found a small booklet called "Lathe Notes" which is a re-print of old articles from Machinery Magazine. In it is article from
August 1915 where a large number of turning tools in various styles are described. Included are about 4 pages on what they call
Fixed-front-rake Holders, which amount to tangential tool holders. They were apparently popular in England at the time but they
describe some American companies that made them including OK Tool. Instead of using standard tool steel blanks, they forged cutters
in different shapes for different purposes and then mounted them in the tool holder, creating what amounts to something like an insert
system. There seems to have been quite a bit of experimenting back then with different types of toolholders.

IMG_0267.jpg

Back