My tool box and measuring tools.

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
That's an old style shadowgraph, isn't it Frank? I passed one up in a junk pile once. Regret it to this day. If you have or know of a plotter that can do transparencies, there isn't much limit to the contours, radii, or angles you can measure.

wow frank really nice stuff
are the mics in the second to last picture thread mics?
i just bought one and have to learn how to use it now that i have a lathe slow enough for me to try threading again.
steve

thats what they looked like i had seen before they look like a ring grove cleaner on the end
how about the ones with the round anvil 90deg to the gauge is that wall thickness inside a tube or round opening?
a lot of them id have to see used to figure out
steve

Had a nice Deltronic comparator with dual surface and edge finder along with DRO. Sweet machine. It went with the business when we sold out. We had a competition between a couple of customers on who could come up with the longest mosquito proboscis. The guys in Houston won. Big mosquitoes down there.

I'm stuck with a jeweler's loupe with a calibrated graticule for measuring nose radii on inserts or small features. Not near as useful.

It's amazing what gets tossed. I wish there were places here that tossed out CMM's. I wouldn't mind having one. You have hard probes or a touch probe system?

Nice Frank. A Comparitor is on my want list. Not needed often but a god send when it is needed. Every one I have ever seen had the screen above, what make is that one?

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking setup. I have always wanted a Gerstner. Remember years ago at the IMTS at the Gerstner Booth they were passing out business cards with an acorn in a small bag to grow your own oak tree and make your own box.

Nice drawer liners Phil,
Did you make those yourself? How did you go about it?

Cheers Phil

12bolts--if you have a scroll saw these are very easy to make. They are call french fitted drawers and the purple is flock. The procedure is as follows:

Layout the tools (I used 1/2" MDF with a 1/8" masonite bottom)
Allow for finger holds to get stuff out
Cut the shape out, you don't need to be accurate this is very forgiving process.
Slightly round the edges (1/8" quarter round router bit)
Glue the 1/8" bottom on
Paint with glue same color as flock (the one I used is called Wine)
literally dump the flock on heavy and allow the glue to dry
Turn upside down and knock off the excess for reuse
Your done--stand back and load up with tools.

For more info see the DonJer Website -- http://www.donjer.com Woodcraft sells the stuff as well as other websites.

If you don't have a scroll saw, a jig saw works or a coping saw. Craigslist has these scroll saws by the ton for about $50 bucks, buy one use it then sell it.

Holler with any questions.

000_0008.JPG

000_0010.JPG

000_0008.JPG 000_0010.JPG

Back