[Lathe] My Vernon Lathe Project

pmat

Registered
Registered
I though I would start a new thread to post occasional pics of my fix up of an early Vernon 11 inch lathe. I am not trying to do a real fancy restoration but rather give it some new paint, fix any damage and make necessary adjustments. I gather the Vernon lathes were made for just a short time beginning in 1916, but these vintage machines are solid and sweet! The lathe was free for the taking on Craigslist.

I have adjusted the spindle bearings, installed some drip oilers, repaired a small chunk missing from the compound. There are a couple of gears with small chunks missing, and some gear teeth have been repaired previously by brazing. I used pins and jb weld to repair the compound and think I may go that route on the gear repairs. I was just trying to restore the look as I could have used it as it was.

I am also learning to resize my pics so maybe they will work. Let's see....more pics to follow if this works.

IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2101.JPG IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2106.JPG

Not done but some progress, my next item will be to make a better repair on the gearbox shifter.

Reminds me of my dads Star lathe he had when I was growing up. Free is always a good thing. Looks like someone got a wake up call one time with the chunk missing from the compound:eek 2:.
Nice find,
Cheers
Martin

Love the old machines. Looks like it had a taper attachment at one time. Did you get anything else with it? Have to love the free part. Mike

IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2125.JPG IMG_2474.JPG IMG_2126.JPG
Love the old machines. Looks like it had a taper attachment at one time. Did you get anything else with it? Have to love the free part. Mike
Came with a nice 3 jaw Cushman chuck, a micrometer stop with large dial indicator, a large live center, spindle to 2 mt adapter and a large faceplate.

The micrometer stop found a home on my south bend 13, already the right color and fits good!

Don't have the rest of the taper attachment...

Also came with a poorly welded mounting for a transmission with matching 4 step pulley and a very large and old 1 hp motor with reversing switch. I think I'll install the motor as it came before I think about refining the mounting brackets.

There is almost zero backlash on the compound and cross slides...

Nice. Sounds like a really good starting point, instead of having to repair every other part you remove. Mike

Nice idea with the JB weld! Was there a piece that got glued back on or did you just fill the missing chunk with JB weld?

Nice idea with the JB weld! Was there a piece that got glued back on or did you just fill the missing chunk with JB weld?
Drilled 3 holes, installed 3 pins, filled in with jb weld. I used pieces of plastic to form a mold on the front, bottom and side.

Back