My Version of a King Way Alignment Tool

ThunderDog

Registered
Registered
First, if this thread is deemed double posting on the forum please feel free to take it down as I'm sharing my restoration process of my Sheldon lathe and the images below are there, too. I wanted to share progress of my take on the King Way Alignment Tool. I have never seen one in person, nor have I had any training in measurement of machine tools or scraping. It's all part of wanting to learn.

Ok, with that out of the way I have a question for the level/vial setup.
I've seen pics of this tool showing an attachment that has the level attached to a block secured to the crossbar. I'm wondering if it is possible to create a block that still slides along the crossbar, but has a channel or method to simply place a machinists level onto it. Thus, avoiding the expense of having to buy a vial that is permanently attached to the tool. I suppose a concern may be that the machinist level could move if not secured, right? Anyway, just thinking out loud. If that should be avoided, I'm looking to buy a level from Geier-Bluhm. Also, according to the drawings that I've found the ball side still needs a cup.

King Way Alignment Tool (1).jpg
King Way Alignment Tool (2).jpg
King Way Alignment Tool (3).jpg
King Way Alignment Tool (4).jpg

Yeah, you need some kind of washer. Doesn't have to be conical to match the ball, but with a 45 degree chamfer on the edge and polished real good to smooth out any tool marks, so the ball moves around on it okay.

Nice job so far. Remember, the levels they use on them is very accurate, like 0.0005" in 10".

I suggest we change the title to something generic. The words "King Way" may be trademarked by Richard and I don't want to do something here that would cause conflict. IF you have something in mind tell me and I'll change it. Say we call it the Thunder Dog alignment jig?

Ken

I have a KingWay alignment tool that I built using some extra parts that I bought from Richard and completed myself; Would you like some pics. of the level part? The levels, both cross and long axis are adjustable for zero. BTW, the part that contacts the vee way is radiused where it contacts the way surface.

I suggest we change the title to something generic. The words "King Way" may be trademarked by Richard and I don't want to do something here that would cause conflict. IF you have something in mind tell me and I'll change it. Say we call it the Thunder Dog alignment jig?

Ken
How about just calling it an alignment tool? I definitely don't want to cause any trouble so name it whatever you wish and I sincerely apologize for that.

here are pictures showing my Kingway alignment tool with the level vial arrangement. This before the second level vial was installed and the castings were wrinkle finish painted.
Very helpful, thanks for sharing.

Back