My week this week, my workshop videos.

Hi Phil,

Somehow this sites "watch" feature stopped working for me, so I was not getting updated about your new content.
I have "un-watch this thread" and then "re-watched" it and it now is working again; I did get notified about your recent update.

However, I am now slowly catching up.

In your May 15th video, with the Peavey amplifier you initially thought about declaring the electronic repair beyond your capabilities. However from what I have seen of your skills, although it may be a little out of your comfort zone it is certainly not something you couldn't handle. With good light, good magnification, a fine point soldering iron, and your usual logic, curiosity, and tenacity you could definitely handle that.

By the way, did you ever replace those bulged electrolytic capacitors?

Thanks for posting!
-brino

Hi Brino,
thanks for the unbridled flattery!. There is a tendency with me , as I mentioned in the video, to immediately assume that anything electronic produces faults that are electronic component failures, and in reality this is usually not the case. Far more likely is switches, pots etc, and dry joints caused by rough handling. because they interface mechanically with the electronics. The reason that I fight shy of electronics is the lack of the expensive test gear required, and the fact that, whilst I can easily understand what each component does, I cannot visualise how they work in concert, and therefore I cannot "think" my way through a circuit like I can if it is purely electrical! My mantra is now " Don't assume the fault is complex" and it is really paying off, but every day is a school day, and I am improving! I have always had multimeters, and was using them before I started work as an electrical engineer apprentice. Always wanted an occilloscope, but couldnt afford one . I have all the soldering kit anuone could ever need, and the new capacitor tester is proving usefull too..
As the amp was given to the owner, he didnt want to spend a lot on it chasing difficult problems or buying expensive parts, and the swelling is a sign of overload, and aging, so if it suddenly went down, they are the first thin I would swap, but having fixed a few amps for this band, most of whom have been personal friends of mine for years befoire they formed up, I am now known as the bands "Amp whisperer"
Thanks for your support, I hope I will continue to amuse, and entertain you all with my antucs, it all stems from my love of fixing, improving, and inventing!
Phil, Stormy and windy East Yorkshire.

More work on the Colchester, and vast improvements made to the fit of the bush and test bar into the spindle nose, and this week I start to get to grips with the 2CV engined Toro Wheelhorse, and then PLUNDER! HA HARR!Got a tip off about some gear that was available, and got it fer next to nowt! Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe to my channel, and I thank you all for watching my antics!
Phil, Mutch Dripping on the Wolds' East Yorkshire.

More work on the Wheelhorse, a slight setback with a wobbly shaft, but nothing a man with two lathes and no idea can't fix! And then!! disaster, I did a covid 19 test on Monday, and got a text Wednesday Morning to say That Catherine was negative, and mine was positive! Like it was telling me something I didnt already know, although given that my life is one of self isolation in the workshop ao what?, well, now I can't go for seven days, by which time the government deems me to be recovered, or at least, not infectious, but the rest of the householdhas to lock down for 14 days! We live in interesting times!
Phil,
East Yorkshire Monsoon season has begun!

Monday was the last day of my 7 day lockdown after my positive covid test, so I was back in the shop Tuesday, suffering from day confusion, a known sympton of disturbed routine! 4 days on the tractor, and a good amount of progress. I always think that it its best to tackle the hardest part of any project first, and this week the starter was started, a puzzling problem was overcome, and the starter was finished.
Phil, Mutch Swettin on the Wolds
East Yorkshire

Lots of disturbances this week, and call outs to other jobs, I must think on and video some of them! Toro tractor moves forward apace....til Friday, when I discover an accumulation of minor disasters, but we shall overcome! Mustn't say too much as shearing the bolt off was entirely my fault, I used heat on the second one and it came free without incident, I was trying to take a short cut because I couldnt get the screws out which hold the rubber shrouds round the engine and therefore couldn't use heat or they would melt... short cuts often lead to the place I now find myself in!! Onward, and hopefully upward! Despite all these setbacks, I am still not considering a career in Accountancy! Phil, Sunshine and showers, very very heavy showers! East Yorkshire

Sometimes, in life, you have to make something a whole lot worse in order to make it better, this might be one of thise times! I have decided that if it is worth doing at all, my integrity demands that it is done properly, or as a mate of mine would say to almost any problem, "just throw money at it"! I have now reached the bottom of the pit of despair, and the 2CV engine, and myself are well on the way to recovery. It is a good thing that I got a replacement oil delivery pipe, because taking the old one off on Friday, I noticed it was pitted and leaking. I can't realy complain much, as it has been stood about twenty years waiting for me to get a round Tuit! Like, subscribe, comment, but above all LAUGH, as someone elses expense!
Phil, Hot and humid in the jungles of Deepest East Yorkshire!

This week I fit some lights over the bench and the lathes, and also do an instructional on fitting a thread replacement helicoil thread kit. most of the 2CV parts have arrived now, but pushrod tubes are out of stock till next wednesday, but I have all I need to rebuild one side! The extra light will improve the quality of the videos, now all I need to improve is the content!
Phil, Great Swelterin on the wolds
East Yorkshire.

Just when I thought that it couldn't get any worse, it did, not a problem, but an engineering challenge (he said, being positive!) Cylinder glaze busting, lapping and valve grinding, and then something completely different, commando gardening at my late aunts house, with cousin Keith! that was my week, that was! Enjoy, comment, like or even subscribe, and be amazed!
Phil
East Yorkshire, Awaiting the return of the monsoon!

Well here is an odd offering! have only been to the shop one day this week, as the weather has been very bad, and I am still a bit under it! Here is a job I did a few years ago on a Citroen 2cv, rebuilding the back end with new inner wings and boot floor. Beware of these cars! If you ever drive one, you will want one! They are so much fun, and dead easy to mend, but the downside is, they ROT! Not at all the car I would ever thought I would enjoy driving, just goes to show that performance isn't everything. Like comment subscribe, enjoy!
Phil
East Yorkshire
I just noticed this thread, what got me to post was that Citroen2CV, reminds me of my cousin whose dad (my uncle) used to own a grey one, we had so much fun driving that car, we even tried to tip it over on it's ceiling because everyone said you could never turn it upside down due to the unusually soft and stretchy shock absorbers, and of course we failed even though the car was very light (but nimble / agile). the first thing people commented when they got inside was, "is that the gear shift"?, it had this weird looking rod sticking out from the dashboard with a knob at the end. but a lot of fun to change gears and drive.
Thanks for posting the picture Phil, brought back a lot of great memories.

Back