My Wells Index 845 Mill

I am also working ona Wells Index Model 845, After dis-assembling the quill and getting it to move freely, I finally have it all back together and powered up with my VFD. I ran the mill slowly and the timing belt is slapping around and is very loud. I don't think there is any adjustment on this timing belt? Is there an easier way / best method to re-assemble this timing belt and pulley /drive? Does this mean that I need to replace this timing belt with a new one? Is is possible that this timing belt is stretched and worn out? Thanks for all of your help

Does this mean that I need to replace this timing belt with a new one? Is is possible that this timing belt is stretched and worn out?

Maybe. All belts wear eventually, so it's possible it's worn out.

Ken and Randy I just got a price for a replacement motor from WI, $600. That is a more than I want to pay for the one axis motor. Any reason I can't use a 1/4 hp, 1750 rpm motor as a replacement? Do you know if the original is 1750 rpm's? Thanks
That's what I did on my Index mill. See post 9. I would suggest tearing down the gear box and see why there is no motor. There is a reason for no motor. Something is broke.

BTY- I saw your thread over on P-M website. Better results here F.Y.I.

As for the variable speed belt, I agree with Jim, replace it. While you have the motor off replacing the belt, which I'm sure you'll have to loosen the motor to get the belt out, check the sheaves for a broken spring that keeps tension on the belt. Also make sure you have the correct size belt on the mill. You don't have to go to Index to buy the belt, they are all over eBay or your nearest industrial supply house or bearing distributor.

Back