Mysterious Craftsman 101.2290 (NOT a typo)

jfcayron

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
From Craigslist in the Phoenix area, I bought this old Craftsman Commercial horizontal saw, with a model number 101.2290. It is NOT a 101.22950, although it is clearly similar. I looked up the web and all I could find is the latter, on http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13573.
This one does not have the vertical capability and comes on a table, but it is unclear if it was part of the original package (I believe not).
Is looks somewhat older, but I have no facts to confirm that, the are in any case of the same generation.
It is VERY heavy for its size, it takes two to carry it moaning and groaning. 60" by 1/2" blade, cutting to the left (I have to flip my blade around).

The sympathetic clown who sold it to me indicated "there is no switch" (it is clearly visible on the pics :whistle:), "the cylinder does not work, so I let it just work by gravity" :bitingnails: etc.
The entire machine was sprayed green, including the oilers that were painted shut. :eek:

It must be bulletproof, because I took it entirely apart and besides all the bearings being very dry and gummed - duh! - no permanent damage was identified.
The manual from its sister was just fine as far as parts lists etc. Very similar indeed.
I equipped it with a lennox bi-metal 1/2" 10-14 blade.
I ran the first project with it and it is a voracious little beast. It cuts through steel like it is butter.

If you know anything about this machine, please let me know. I will post my pictures on VintageMachinery.org as well.

Craftsman-Bandsaw-01.jpg Craftsman-Bandsaw-02.jpg Craftsman-Bandsaw-03.jpg Craftsman-Bandsaw-04.jpg Craftsman-Bandsaw-05.jpg Craftsman-Bandsaw-06.jpg Craftsman-Bandsaw-08.jpg Craftsman-Bandsaw-Data-plat.jpg

Thanks Mark. It does help!

You did not say it in so many words, but I assume you meant 2 of those are 101.2290. Or are they 101.22950?
Also wondering, did they come on a wheel-less table like mine, or what?

Any pictures would go a loooong way!

Measure the wheel and buy one from Grizzly probably. It shouldn't a specialized part AFAIK.

Welcome to the forum.

John

That looks just like the saw I bought not long ago. Mine had been used heavily in a shop for years was filthy, but it cleaned up pretty well. I bought a blade for it, but it keeps throwing it. I haven't had time to investigate and fix the problem yet.

My saw was doing the same thing with the blade coming off. The fix was the tension adjustment. Somewhere I read that the blade has to be so tight that it rings if you strike. That solved my problem with the blade coming off. I might have it too tight. I am going to do test runs loosing the blade until it comes off and then tighten it back up.

Mine will throw the blade if I try to use any type of cutting lube. When the blade is dry it will track and run fine. Looks like the sheet metal guards on the back of the main saw frame are missing. There is a small tab on the guard that trips the on off switch when the cut is finished. It only works so so even when it was new..

My manual specifically states not to use cutting lube because the blade will slip. I don't really need a cut off switch because the arm (wrong terminology??) on my saw rests on the saw base when the cut is done. It would just be convenient to have.

Does anyone know where I can find a friction band for this saw?
I ordered a set of tires from this seller on ebay.

Back