Mystery Horizontal Mini Milling Machine (Northern Illinois Machinists LMG-3) made in USA?

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will sping this fast. If not I have a 2HP treadmill motor that I can retrofit to it.

Yeah after seeing them pieces it’s definately a mill. :p I think of a overhead arm to support the arbor spindle on a horizontal.
I would still think it could be used as a t&c grinder. Adapt a wheel to a homebrew arbor. Shouldnt be hard runout can be taken care of with dressing stone. Grinding wheels usually have a 3600rpm limit. So if you can spin that thing at least 3k you should be alright.

Update. I was supposed to go look at it tomorrow but the seller is now busy. He’s gonna try and show it to me either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully I get to it before anyone else does. Craigslist is great for finding stuff but its always a PITA.

Yeah after seeing them pieces it’s definately a mill. :p I think of a overhead arm to support the arbor spindle on a horizontal.
I would still think it could be used as a t&c grinder. Adapt a wheel to a homebrew arbor. Shouldnt be hard runout can be taken care of with dressing stone. Grinding wheels usually have a 3600rpm limit. So if you can spin that thing at least 3k you should be alright.

I don't think I would try to spin the arbor fast enough to use it as a surface grinder. The way it's set up now the spindle is going slower than the motor. That's the case for almost any milling machine of this style. I doubt the bearings will hold up at speeds north of 3,000 rpm, and I doubt the spindle is balanced well enough.

If you look at the specs for the US Machine tool machine pictured earlier it has a maximum spindle speed of 1640 rpm. This machine uses ball bearings on all shafts including the spindle. Also looking at the arbor support on the craigslist add you'll see it has a bronze bushing. If memory serves correctly the maximum safe speed for this style bushing (plain bearing) is around 550 FPM.

Last edited:
I spoke to the seller and I am hoping to go down tonight but unfortunately my vehicle broke down !
I spoke to the seller last night and he says he also has a Burke #4 horizontal Mill that he is considering selling as well. Hopefully tonight I’ll go look at both of them, if not it will be on Saturday.

Good luck! Hope your seller is patient.

I just got back from the sellers. I was able to fix my van in time to head down to Philadelphia and thank goodness I brought it and not my car because NOT ONLY did I buy the LMG-3 mill but he GAVE ME a Burke B100-4 horizontal mill! Granted it was all disassembled, but I guess that was a good thing because it’s very heavy. This guy had a lot of machinery in the tiny basement of a tiny row home. The steps were steep and narrow and it was a challenge to carry all this stuff out. I must have made 10 trips up and down the steps using a dolly. The Burke was the hardest thing to get up the steps. The gearbox motor and the body of the machine (not sure what its really called) were the heaviest. I will try and post pictures tomorrow, its too dark now and I’m whooped!

We need an update on both machines!

I know, my bad. You guys gave me a lot of help and I gotta update this thread with pics. I apologize for not posting them sooner. I got real busy after I brought the mills home. Tomorrow I will post pics after I assemble the Burke

Update. No pics yet. Sorry but I got a cold from my daughter and now the misses has it too. Not feeling like doing much of anything until this is over except post and surf the forums here. Again sorry. I will get them posted eventually !

Back