Mystery metal

I got some Iscar inserts in DCMT and CCMT. I dropped the feed down and gave them a try. I also switched to kool-mist. All cuts are run at 380 RPM.

The DCMT still makes stringy chips, but I can get 0.090 cuts without stalling. The lathe is obviously working hard, but it works and has a decent finish.

CCMT in a SCLCR holder, past about 0.040 the chip breaker starts working nicely and I get very clean chips. I was able to get 0.090 as well, with similar sounds coming from the lathe. With faster feed and a 0.030 cut, the finish is very nice with good chip control.

Heat was significantly lower, even without the coolant. The coolant kept it warm to the touch after a cut, but not uncomfortable.

I suspected brand name inserts would be better, but these are enough of a difference to make the material useful.

Mystery Metal makes me laugh my bits off, if it ain't Titanium bin it, buy something that won't waste your time and everyone else's and make something, including useful utilisation of your time!

Back