Mystery Project...

Ray C

Registered
Registered
OK, I mentioned a mystery project a few weeks ago when I normalized a big plate. Well, the plate is still nice and normal and wants to be something useful. I won't be working on this full-steam -maybe only a day a week. It's an accessory that you don't see too much of anymore but I think they're cool. We'll see how far it goes before someone guesses what it is...

It needs to be quite precise and pretty tough, which is why I went through the trouble of normalizing it. Toward the end, it will need heat treatment to about 35-40 RC.

Here's the 1st hole. Had to do it on the mill since it's 10.25" diameter and can't safely hold it in the 8" chuck. The 1" hole was hand reamed with an adjustable reamer to 1.025" +0.0005 -0.0000. This kind of precision is needed for this thing. Right now the hole is needed to drive it on the lathe and if it gets distored, I'll ream it a little more later. This will be one of my tougher projects and all the pieces that go with it. I have a backup piece of plate stock just in case I screw it up. BTW: The plate is 1045 and about 1.25" thick and I picked up for 10 bucks... Couldn't pass it up.

Ray

Disk.JPGReam Hole.JPG

Disk.JPG Ream Hole.JPG

Here's a few more steps along the way. The shaft is used to spin the disk and it will also be used in the final project. The fit came out very well with about 0.0005 to 0.0007" clearance. I wanted it very smooth so that was a quick spin -probably 1600 R's. I charted-out the last three passes to see how much was coming off vs. how much was dialed-in. The last pass was setup for a 20 thou DoC and it hit the nail on the head. BTW: The disk was welded to the shaft on the backside only. When I'm done using it as an arbor, I'll cut the back nub off and face it off.

Shaft.jpg

Disk is ready for cutting. It went very fast. With the face cuts, the VFD was used to spin slow at the OD and increase R's as SFM decreased. Here's a pic of the backside to show how it was held.

Backside.jpgReady to cut.jpg

Didn't take long to surface. Both sides are done. Low RPM most of the way. I need to check dimensions tomorrow. The lathe... it handled this with ease! It also helped that the disk was normalized. While working on it so far (drilling/tapping holes, reaming etc), there have been no hard spots. I want a bigger lathe! This was a tight fit. The disk was only 1" or so from the ways.

All done.jpg

Next up.... Put the piece back on the mill and drill a bunch of holes.

That's it for now.

Ray

Shaft.jpg Backside.jpg Ready to cut.jpg All done.jpg

Ray,
Can I buy a vowel? Looks like your mystery project could be a rotary or indexing device of some kind? So am I cold, wam, or hot on the solution? Geat looking work so far though.

Bob

OK Vannah, you han have a vowel...

It does need to do indexing but, it is not intended as an indexing device.

Ray

Ray,
Can I buy a vowel? Looks like your mystery project could be a rotary or indexing device of some kind? So am I cold, wam, or hot on the solution? Geat looking work so far though.

Bob

OK, this is practically giving it away. Here it is with some rough layout and tomorrow it goes on the mill for drilling. Yesterday, the disk was on the surface grinder. I wasn't kidding about getting some precision on this thing. Had to do it in two sections on each side and luckily, it came out fine. I threw it on the slab and checked with a TDI and didn't find more than a half thou variance. -Wheeew, dodged a bullet on that one. After heat treating, it will probably need another pass under the wheel.

... Had to make yet another MT2 stump to hold it in the rotary table. That's about the 5th one in the last year or so. I keep losing them or using them (out of desperation) for other things. I think I'll tie a string to this one...

Here's another hint. It's going to need 6 registration holes. Thinking of making tapered holes to boot...

Who knows what it is now?

Layout2.JPGLayout1.JPG

Ray

Layout1.JPG Layout2.JPG

Alex,
I would like to solve the puzzle please...... Is it a chuck plate for a lathe or rotary table?

Bob

Back