Mystery Project...

I'll throw a guess in, Maybe a D-6 chuck adapter plate for your rotary table?

Yes, it's an accessory for a machine.

My guess is that you're making yourself a turret tool holder for your lathe. I have one for mine but have never used it. But if I had a job that could run a 50 pieces it would be worth setting up.
Cheers,
Paul

Jackpot! We have a winner!

I don't run 5 pieces of anything much less 50 but I sure get tired of switching from live center, dead center, large/medium/small drill center, drill bits and reamers on every job.

On this unit, I'll make a new pedestal that will have decent fine adjustment for side movement and it will have a fine-tune height adjustment -and still be solid.

Ray

My guess is that you're making yourself a turret tool holder for your lathe. I have one for mine but have never used it. But if I had a job that could run a 50 pieces it would be worth setting up.
Cheers,
Paul

And what does he win Vanna? Is it behind door number one, two or he can take the mystery envelope and come back for our showcase at the end of the show......

Heh heh heh
Bob

Hey Monty, you're getting confused with "Let's Make A Deal"...

Ughhhh, I'm drilling the (seemingly millions of) starter holes now. It's taking forever.

Ray

And what does he win Vanna? Is it behind door number one, two or he can take the mystery envelope and come back for our showcase at the end of the show......

Heh heh heh
Bob

Here's a little bit more... Drilled lot's of holes. The colored ones are critical position locating or indexing holes and were positioned very carefully and power reamed. There's 54 holes and between making the starters, basic drilling, reaming and countersinking there's well over 200 manual operations. This took several hours. Anyhow, the combination of DRO, a rotary table and several cups of coffee produced very nice results. No sloppiness was allowed on any of those setups; everything checked, double-checked and tenths zeroed. Blue ones are indexing holes that will align with a single fixed hole in the sliding plate that supports this disk. The red ones are locating holes for the individual accessory attachments. I'll use hardened pins to align the blocks. The other holes are just bolt passages and are now countersunk 3/8" deep to accommodate a cap screw head. The bolts come in from the underside to hold the blocks. Only 4 of the 6 holes will be used for any given block. I measured many common tapers (R8, 5C, Morse #2 and #3 etc) and each block can be made with whatever taper style I decide to use and some will need longer blocks than others; thus, multiple positioning options. The plate is all done now but I forgot to snap a picture.

The PM-45 mill has a power downfeed option with auto-stop. That was extremely nice to have today! I normally don't use it much except when mill boring.

PrettyColors.JPG

Here's a quick couple pictures of power reaming. I do it in a two step operation; some folks have a three step technique. Always use the proper sizes. The hole should be a maximum of 1/64" smaller than the ream size. That's what I was running today.

First the bit is lined-up. Even with DRO and rotary table, everything is visually checked for proper line-up then slathered with dark cutting oil.
Ream setup.JPG

Next, at slow speed of about 90 RPM, firmly and swiftly move the reamer through. The plate is 1.2" thick and it took no more 3 seconds to clear the hole. Don't let it sit in one spot and at the bottom of the plunge, immediately move it up slightly faster on the way out. Some folks will stop the machine after they clear the hole to clean the chips then, pull out.

Ream Plunge.JPG

I tried to take a picture of the reamed hole but the iPhone camera isn't too great... Trust me, it's a very clean, even hole.

... Anyhow, the main plate is all done. Tomorrow I'll heat treat and carburize it hopefully to RC 40. That should be plenty as it's mainly for scratch resistance and to protect the indexing holes as they will used by the operator every time the turret position is changed.

Ray

PrettyColors.JPG Ream Plunge.JPG Ream setup.JPG

Back