Mystery tool question..thread depth checker?

JPower6210

Registered
Registered
Hi all- I am very much a beginner- I purchased a Kennedy box with some stuff in in quite some time ago- one of the things in it was what looks to be a wire with a precision ground triangle attached to both ends- in this case measuring .245 point to flat. I think I saw Abom, in one of his videos use a similar tool to measure threads with a mic. I am assuming to measure the minor diameter. Can anyone tell me what this is called, and how to use it? I don't see these in any of the tool catalogs. Thanks!

Tool.jpg

That U shaped thing is a holder for the bottom two thread triangles for measuring the pitch diameter of V threads. To measure you need 3 triangles that come in a set of various sizes for measuring pitch diameters. Do you have the rest of the set? Pretty much useless unless you do...

TEd

Thanks- I don't have any more, so may be a useless item- in this video:
, at about 10:40 it looks like Abom is using the same thing I have- he mentions measuring pitch although I it seems like he would be measuring minor diameter.

I have that thread measuring tool I got it for $2 at the swapmeet. there is a chart that came with it to give you a dimension for the thread pitch. 1532617442332.png1532617442332.png

Thanks!- I don't have the chart but I will see if I can blow the one you provided up- what does yours measure from tip to flat? I believe, although I am not in the shop, mine is .245.

The thread triangles come in a set of only two; if you needed three, only very coarse threads could be measured due to the adjacent corners interfering with each other. Each point of the triangles has a different point width for finer or coarser threads and I am posting a chart of the paper chart that came with the kit; if it is not legible, PM me and I could copy it and send it via USPS.

thread triangles 001.JPG

thread triangles 002.JPG

benmychree - thanks- When I blow the charts up large enough to see they are not legible- if you would be willing, I'd really appreciate a copy. PM incoming with address-

JP

Benmychree, If you have a smart phone there is an app called Turbo Scan that will take a photo and turn it into a PDF. It's perfect for those times when you need to post or email a document.

Thanks!- I don't have the chart but I will see if I can blow the one you provided up- what does yours measure from tip to flat? I believe, although I am not in the shop, mine is .245.
Mine are 0.185 in.

I have a set from in the 70s when I needed to make precision threads on government jobs. Yes they do what wires do only easier. As others explained the triangles are three sides for measuring different thread sizes. They come with a rubber band type holder that holds them to the micrometer. There were different manufacturers with different mounts . At the time they cost more then wires and was easier to operate.

Back