Mystery Tools

kev74

Registered
Registered
These were included in a box full of lathe bits I got as the result of a late night Ebay binge. They look like some kind of tiny holding fixtures, but I really don't have a clue. A couple are stamped with something that looks like "J HUTZ NY".

Any ideas what these are and what they're used for would be appreciated. Thanks.

20180202_182934.jpg20180202_182934.jpg20180202_183022.jpg

No idea.
But I'm following the thread!!

Daryl
MN

i'm not sure either,
but they resemble watchmaker or possibly even jewelers tools

There were some very small -tiny- drill bits and Allen wrenches in there too. Watch or clock maker tools might make sense.

Next time put a 6" scale or dollar bill or something so we can judge the size.
Just Saying
**G**

That didn't help. I still have no idea what it is. I will be waiting to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.

Neat tools.
To me they look like some kind of vise for soldering jewellery, etc.
With a choice of bases and "anvil" to pin the work against.

One question:
Do the parts in the board:
1517702502920.png

all have round shanks that fit in the holes:
ScreenShot217b.jpg

okay maybe a second question......
do the base parts have a way of mounting to a mandrel that could be held in a larger vise?
(like a threaded hole in the back?)

-brino

Last edited:
The parts on the board do mount into the base units. There are two sizes of shanks on the parts in the board. I don't see how the base pieces could be easily mounted in a vise, but they all had threaded inserts where they might be mounted.

It looks like the work pieces would be place in the inserts and the 2 claws get tightened to hold it in place.

After some cleaning, it looks like two are stamped "J PUTZ NY". Another stamped "PREEMERMAN NEW YORK NY". They look too similar to be worker made tools - but what do I know.

Back