Name that vise

WCraig

Registered
Registered
Just picked up a milling vise that was offered through an online auction. Probably paid more than I should have. As a bonus, they left it out in the rain! The pictures make it look worse than it really is. I've drenched it with oil until I can do a proper clean up.

Does anyone recognize this vise? Looks to me that the name plate was probably attached where the two little holes in the top are.

end.jpg

side.jpg

top.jpg

Craig

Kinda looks like a shaper vise, but the jaw length is very short..... Might be homemade.... I've never seen one with a moveable jaw that has the cut out so it can open up all the way like this....

At a glance, I think the vise originally had replaceable jaws and they seem to have wandered off. That's part of the reason I was hoping figure out who made it--to see if a repair kit is available.

Also, there seems to have been some kind of a hack job done the the front edge of the movable jaw.

Finally, there are degree graduations around the base. Perhaps when I get it apart and cleaned up, some marking will appear.

Craig

This angled face at the bottom of the stationary jaw looks very strange....

This angled face at the bottom of the stationary jaw looks very strange....
I presume the replaceable part of the jaw either fits to the angled part or mounts above it? I've never operated a milling machine so I'm guessing here.

Close up:

jaw close up.jpg

The threaded holes on either end of the fixed jaw are for a stop that can be removed, right?

Craig

The threaded holes on either end of the fixed jaw are for a stop that can be removed, right?

You are correct about the holes on the sides.... These holes are very nice to have on a mill vise for making repeatable cuts....

Someone definitely forgot to check the Z clearance, a few times lol......

If you have a mill you should try to cut that angled part flat, it will be much easier to make replacement jaws for it... When I make vise jaw I like to cut the stock long and weld them together at the long ends and mill off the weld with the final cuts after the holes are drilled....

The pictures don't show, but I'm thinking there are a couple of bolt holes coming through from the back above the angled section. The ledge above the angle is where the hardened jaw would rest. I wouldn't modify the vise, other than to get or make a set of jaws to fit. The fillet would serve to strengthen the fixed jaw.

The angled back jaw is common on tool and cutter grinder vises, it allows round parts to be sucked down onto the bottom of the vise whan the jaw is tightened.

I was spleunking YouTube last night and MrPete refurbished a Bridgeport vise that had a similar fillet or bevelled transition. He milled a matching bevel onto the front jaw blank.

BTW, I found a lead to a company that sells replacement jaws:

They sell hard and soft jaws for pretty decent prices. Eg. 4" X 1.5" X 0.75" steel with tapped holes (2.5" centres) for USD $15. Aluminum soft jaws for $10 in the same size.

BUT, my vise takes 4" by 1" jaws (body is 7/8" high). My bolt holes appear to be on 2.875" centres.

Craig

Back