Name that vise

I would make them for you but shipping anything to Canada is very expensive.....

I would make them for you but shipping anything to Canada is very expensive.....
I appreciate the offer but I think I can figure something out. Some 1 X 0.5" cold rolled would be a start and the chamfer on the front jaw doesn't have to be all that precise. Hand filing would work!

Wonder what this vise was originally for?

Craig

I was spelunking YouTube last night and MrPete refurbished a Bridgeport vise that had a similar fillet or bevelled transition. He milled a matching bevel onto the front jaw blank.

Get some aluminum of the right cross-section size for a jawplate, file one corner so it fits over the fillet. Use that as a gauge when setting up to cut the real vise jaws at an angle.

Wonder what this vise was originally for?

As Cooter Brown pointed out, probably a shaper vise. Looks a lot like the one that came with my ammco shaper.

Shaper vises typically have a square base with 4 mounting holes, this one only has two. More typical of a milling vise.

-frank

As I recently bought a mill/drill [1], I had another go at fixing up this vise. Previously, I could not get it apart as the locking collar would not budge. I decided that there was little to lose so I applied some brute force. And it came apart easily!

[1] https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/craftex-b1977.79020/

After some cleanup, here is what it looks like now:

installed.jpg

It is still a weird little vise. It is 4 inches wide but the jaws are just under an inch high. I've made the aluminum soft jaws just over one inch high. Still need a decent handle and a non-marring screw for the collar. Other than that, it seems to do the job.

Craig
installed.jpg

Here's a nice brochure from Hardinge showing the vise accessory. I found this on Vintage Machinery.

Attachments

• Hardinge UM TM Milling Machine Brochure.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 17
Here's a nice brochure from Hardinge showing the vise accessory. I found this on Vintage Machinery.
Jake:

Thank you very much! I would never have guessed Hardinge. When I had it apart, I looked over all the pieces to see if there was any kind of identification but found none.

Thanks again!

Craig

Back