Naming decimal places in the shop

See foot in mouth!! I wonder why they teach us in school that .1 is a tenth!!!! Oh well, understood... Thanks!

What you have is 0.1" is 1/10th of an inch. That is the same as 100/1000 of an inch. It will always be 0.1" even if you see it as 0.10" or 0.100" or 0.1000". When we speak of 1/10th we are talking of a tolerance of .0001 of an inch.
Clear as mud, sorry. it takes a little practice to get the hang of it. Good luck

I work in a shop that uses inches and metric 1tenth in metric is .1mm we have prints in German, Japanese, Chinese, and English. German prints roll instead of flip.
Most tolerances in metric are the same as inches but metric equivalent. I have found it best to do everything in ether inches or metric. We typically work to .0005“ hole size and .001” dim.

Or you have the half way conversion to metric in Canada where most temperature, weight and volume for sales is in SI units but housing lumber went back to inches and most machine shops still work in thousandths. Work around the home or at business is complicated by the need for both metric and imperial tools and the need to determine what the parts measured in.

But we have a slightly different twist up here above the 49th parallel......We buy a sheet of plywood 4ft.x 8ft. But the thickness is in mm. Like what used to be 1/2 inch plywood, is now 13mm (if I have the right mm figure)

How DUMB is that..?

Some industries in the US did the metric conversion years ago. The automotive industry started changing products from English to Metric back in the late '70's, starting out with just converting fasteners. All new products were designed in metric, but we retained tooling in English dim. Needless to say, we had to become fluent in both Metric and English. As far as relative tolerances, 2 place dim. in metric (+/- .03) are roughly equal to 3 place dim in English (+/- .001).

Then we ended up with this example: front shock on a 3/4t Ford truck. Top nut 9/16", bottom 17mm. I always say the engineers who design this stuff should have to work on it.

- - - Updated - - -

But we have a slightly different twist up here above the 49th parallel......We buy a sheet of plywood 4ft.x 8ft. But the thickness is in mm. Like what used to be 1/2 inch plywood, is now 13mm (if I have the right mm figure)

How DUMB is that..?[/QUOTE]

These things are determined by politicians I believe. There in lies the answer.

this is something that take a little time to get use to, but it's really just a relative nomenclature system.

0.1 = tenth of an inch
0.01 = hundredth of an inch
0.001 = thousands of an inch
0.0001 = ten thousands of an inch.

usually machinists work in tolerances that range from a 0.0001 to 0.005 or so. To communicate faster with each other, we basically refer to everything in thousands (0.001) or tenths (.0001)

Back