Naming decimal places in the shop

.100 = one hundred thousandths (100 x 1/1000")
.010= ten thousandths (10 x 1/1000")
.001= one thousandth (1 x 1/1000")
.0001= a tenth or one ten thousandth (1 x 1/10,000")

I tried to tell my 4th grade teacher that after dad drilling it into me. It didn't go over too good with her. :nono:

This feels like a stupid question, but I don't care.

Im new in this field of work so bare with me!

Can someone explain the proper way of naming decimals. Like, other than the obvious: "point 123".

Are they different in a machine shop than in a math class?

Im pretty much just confirming this for an old-timer stuck in his ways lol. I need help explaining this to him. If you could name a few for me I would greatly appreciate it!

No such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers. but they all look good here.
Bob

OT, but Ray, that Height Master isn't a lot of good without it's accessories. You need a AA block to set it, and for using as a comparator with a transfer gage, you need an amplified test indicator. One that is good down in that range. Plus like Chuck said.....climate control. In the shop that Height Master isn't good down in the 10 millionths like the Vernier shows. 68° F @ 50% RH, and pretty close to it, and some soak time.....then the proper accessories...now we're talking!

This is a great thread, I'm learning a lots!

On the subject of rainbow colours and wavelengths, my aged retired tool maker neighbour once told me that when using a square or straight edge to check a work piece, he would hold it up to a light, the colour of the light (blue to red) through any gaps would tell him how much he had to take off, he reckoned it was pretty accurate and quicker than any other way.

I spent many years in construction, when the UK supposedly went metric (there are plenty who still haven't!) the schools taught youngsters to express measurements as metres, decimetres, centimetres and millimetres.

We builders only use millimetres, so this drove us nuts as when a youngster was at the other end of a long tape measure on a noisy job and you just need clear measurements, like '7-4-8-3' shouted at you against the wind. Easy to understand, just like '24 foot 6 and a half inches' used to be!

Bernard

Last edited:
No great climate control an no real plans for it... It had a single owner who retired then passed away. It was sold in an estate sale for a price that could not be passed up. I got it for about 1/6th the cost of a typical used unit.

Ray

Ray, I hope you have climate control in your shop if your planning on using that.

Now the whole thing is different in the rest of the world (you know the countries that are not one of the 3 holdouts that still use the English system, yes, I live in one of those countries...). Maybe someone who works in metric will describe the terminology there...I'm a bit curious now.

So 1: US, 2: ?, 3: ?

And then there is the "mil" which is also one thousandth. :coffeebreak:

schemer

If it's 0.123" I would say "one twenty-three". If it's 4.123 I'd say "four one twenty three", the point is implied. 0.0015 is "a thou and a half" or "fifteen tenths". But if it was 4.125 I'd say "four and an eighth". Even with almost universal use of decimal inches, lots of measurements (and almost all stock sizes in the US) are fractional inches.

I recall in the early 70s there was a lot of talk about US switching to metric and they were educating people about the soon to come change.

Then it sort of died.

Have a friend in Sweden & Scotland & forget which one it was that said even though they're metric they still use the "imperial" system I think he called it for a few things. can't recall examples but something like a 2x4 for lumber or 4x8 for plywood; IOW, there are still some traditional holdouts there.

have served 20 years in USMC we used metric for stuff like it's 20 "clicks" to such and such a place and so on

Back