[4]

NATURAL RUST BLUE?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I'm a big fan of rust blueing and have done a few rifles that way. I just finished a spare tire mount and need to press it into service immediately. The mount is all painted surfaces except for the 3/4 inch threaded shaft that holds the tire on. If it rusts naturally outdoors can I then boil it and card it or is rust blueing a different chemical process than naturally occurring rust?

kev74

Registered
It should work the same.

I rust blued some tools by using supermarket grade peroxide and salt to stimulate the rusting. It works fast, but can leave pitting if not careful.

seanb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Heat it up and dunk in some used motor oil (outside) burn off rest with propane torch.

Rust bluing is one of the weakest rust preventatives around. First time it rains you will have rust next day.

epanzella

Active User
Registered
Heat it up and dunk in some used motor oil (outside) burn off rest with propane torch.
Rust bluing is one of the weakest rust preventatives around. First time it rains you will have rust next day.
Thanks for the tip on the motor oil. I forgot about that. I do beg to differ on the protective quality of rust blueing. I rust rust blued two rifles that I built and the finish seems to be impervious to rusting despite some all day hunts in the rain. I keep repeating the application until the surface refuses to rust anymore even when treated with the chemical designed to cause rusting. I have to figure if the surface is completely rusted already, how can it rust any more?

epanzella

Active User
Registered
It should work the same.

I rust blued some tools by using supermarket grade peroxide and salt to stimulate the rusting. It works fast, but can leave pitting if not careful.
Salt for the rusting and peroxide for the oxygen! Great idea! I'm gonna try that. The solution I use is for guns. It produces a beautiful finish but takes all day. The part I' trying to protect doesn't need a good finish but it will be outdoors all the time and i don't want it to rust all to hell. Thx for the tip.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Salt for the rusting and peroxide for the oxygen! Great idea! I'm gonna try that. The solution I use is for guns. It produces a beautiful finish but takes all day. The part I' trying to protect doesn't need a good finish but it will be outdoors all the time and i don't want it to rust all to hell. Thx for the tip.
I'd really be interested in how you rust blue a firearm. I've been wanting to try this on a pistol but am not sure what method/chemicals would give the best results. :)

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I'd really be interested in how you rust blue a firearm. I've been wanting to try this on a pistol but am not sure what method/chemicals would give the best results. :)
Easy, great finish, great durability, but sloooow. The part should be prepped using progressively finer grits but don't go finer than 300. 1. degrease part 2. cover with rustblue chemical available on internet. 3. Leave in damp environment until it gets a fine coat of rust. ( 2 to 8 hrs depending on humidity) 3. boil in distilled water for 30 minutes until it turns blue/black. 4. card with carding brush (super fine wire brush available on internet). Using FRESH distilled water every time, repeat as required (it will get progressively darker with each cycle) until it will no longer rust with the chemical. I've done 2 rifles and both times it refused to rust any further on the fourth cycle. Both rifles have been out in all day rain without a spec of rust. This system is almost foolproof and is the way custom rifles costing many thousands of dollars were finished back in the day. The only thing that will spoil the finish is oil or grease on the parts or in the water tank. I made a sheet steel tank that looks like a 3 ft piece of rain gutter. Good Luck!

WCraig

Registered
The following Youtube video shows an accelerated rust blueing process using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. I haven't tried myself, yet, but I plan to!

Craig

[5] [7]